changing IP address (DHCP)???

iknownotwhoiam

Registered
i have a shared DSL connection at my place...my roommate runs internet connection sharing on his windows box...does anyone know if there is any way that i can get a non 192.168.0.1 IP address...does that make sense? what i mean is...is there any way to get the DHCP server to give me an IP address that others may use to connect to FTP/Carracho/ect...an IP that can be accessed from other computers "out there" on the Net?

i'm sorry this doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but maybe someone can understand it and figure out what i mean...if so, THANKS!!

axel.

It sounds like there might be a log more going on here...

First of all, are you sure you need a "real" IP address? The reason I ask is that my Mac OS X box has been running on the address 192.168.0.4 for about 2 months now with no noticable differences in opperation (with a Linux box - which has a real address - handeling the masquarading of the addresses behind it).
This requires that the router/firewall you are behind is set up correctly (with NAT or MASQ) to translate your "fake" address into a real one on its way out to the internet - so other computers will never know the difference (or your's for that matter). If you can't get out, talk to whoever is in charge of the firewall/router, since it sounds like that is configured wrong.
In your case, it sounds like your roommate is the one who needs to fix it... the Internet Sharing is not set up correctly on your roommate's computer. If it was, you would have no problems at all. (It really is transparent, if set up correctly.)

As for DHCP, I think there is a way to release your leased IP and request a new one, but you can't ask for a specific one. If the DHCP server is handing out 192.168.x.x addresses, then that's what you're going to get. You can set a static IP instead of using DHCP, but you may be stomping on someone else's address.
But is your roommate's machine a DHCP server? If not, then that shouldn't be how you get your address.

so how would i find out what my translated address is? the router on my roomie's machine is configured to an IP address of 192.168.0.1...should i change this to something else?

Your router is a 192.168.x.x address? Hm... so the NAT/MASQ must be happening somewhere else down the line. Is this how your set up is?

['net]----[router]---[roommate/PC]---[you/Mac]

or are you hanging off the router yourself?

Lots of other question come to mind, though. If your router is 192.168.0.1, what is your roommate's address? What kind of software is running on that box to allow you connectivity. What does the network look like outside of the router (that's mostly just curiosity). I'm assuming that computer has no problem getting to outside resources. Things will certainly not work if you have the same IP address as the router and connected to it... but if you are hanging off of another machine then it can hide your IP by using IP-Masquarading.

Originally posted by iknownotwhoiam
i have a shared DSL connection at my place...my roommate runs internet connection sharing on his windows box...does anyone know if there is any way that i can get a non 192.168.0.1 IP address...does that make sense?

1) Many DSL ISPs will let you add a second IP address for a few $$$ extra per month. Then add a hub/router, or switch your roommate's machine to routing instead of connection sharing.

or

2) Configure port forwarding on your roommate's machine so that e.g. ftp (port 21) at your DSL IP address actually goes through your roommate's machine to yours.

If your DSL IP is truly dynamic, you can sign up with a dynamic DNS server to get a name that maps to your dynamic IP.

Back