Changing ISP

villasjack

Registered
My ISP COX was purchased by an outfit called Suddenlink. They have provided zero support for MAc users to migrate. I am up and running and want to send a mass e-mail to my whole address book informing folks of our new address. I see a thing called "automater" which implies it can be used to do that but I am at a completee loss. I really feel that this is likely very easy, but I don't know how to do it. ANy help would be very appreciated.

OH, we are running Panther
Thanks,

Jack

Usually it doesn't matter if ISPs support OSX or not as there shouldn't be anything to do with the connection that's specific to using a Mac or Windows (or Linux), i.e. if you're using a router then it takes care of the connection, or if you're using a USB/internal modem then your Mac/PC will handle it.

Which mail client are you using, or is it a webmail service? An idea might be to start using Gmail instead of your ISP's mail. You can still download your mail to a client like Apple Mail or Entourage, or use it via the web, but it's totally independent of your ISP. You can even forward you old ISP email account to your Gmail (or the new Yahoo! Mail is supposed to be good too).

In Apple's Mail, To send to a group of people, create a group address in Address Book, then use the group address in your email instead of the individual addresses. See Address Book Help for more information on creating a group.

In Eudora, open the Address Book, highlight the first address, go to the bottom of list and hold shift key down then click on last address and click 'To'.

My ISP COX was purchased by an outfit called Suddenlink. They have provided zero support for MAc users to migrate. I am up and running and want to send a mass e-mail to my whole address book informing folks of our new address. I see a thing called "automater" which implies it can be used to do that but I am at a completee loss. I really feel that this is likely very easy, but I don't know how to do it. ANy help would be very appreciated.

OH, we are running Panther
Thanks,

Jack
monktus is correct. The only thing that you have to do is to change the URLs of your Cox.net POP and SMTP servers to Suddenlink's POP and SMTP servers. Actually, there is a very important step before this. You have to go to Suddenlink's website to claim your Suddenlink.net email address. If you have myaddress@cox.net, then myaddress@suddenlink.net is already reserved for you. However, you need to be sure that Suddenlink has its servers up. Here is my little town, they don't. I continue to use Cox.net for my mail service. As of this writing, I have claimed my Suddenlink.net address, but it goes unused until Suddenlink gets its servers up. FWIW, Suddenlink's webmail is operational.

Back