Changing language of XCode

Harvey

Registered
Hello,

I run my MacOSX in a non-English language.

is there a way that I can make XCODE run in English though?
All of the system menus are in the foreign language, which is fine.. But it makes it difficult to get help online because I don't know what things are called in English.

Is there a way that I can do this without switching my OS language back to English? Perhaps a way to override that just for specific applications? XCode?

Thanks for any help!

- Harvey

All Mac OS X applications (except poorly written ones that come in microsoftishly one language only, M$ Office etc) are by default multilingual.

Mac OS X comes in a huge number of languages of which all are preinstalled, and system preferences (international) will define what language an application is run in.
In that pane, the order matters. In your case, I'd guess the order is Japanese, English, then the rest. An application will be run on the first language on the list - if the application isn't localized in that language, then on the next one, or the next until it finds the localizations.

If you want Xcode to run in English, you could try three things for that.

1. In International system preference pane, drag English to first on list, and after this launch Xcode. It will now launch in English. Launch all applications you need, then switch to your preferred order.
This is fast and no risk.

2. Remove the localization(s) you don't want for Xcode. (Monolingual, or right click on the applications "show package contents" > content > resources > xx.lproj)
If you ever want to use the application in that language that isn't going to be the best approach as the localizations will be gone.

3. Get an application that will enable you to choose the language at launch.
I did have something like that but I don't find it on this hard drive - and I doubt Xcode was among those. You could probably write an AppleScript to do the language change before launching the application but I don't think the method #1 above is too much hassle. I use(d) that any time I need to test localizations.

Back