changing priorities

It's too hard to explain...I'll add an example of both to my Project Builder example. :D

I'll have it up shortly :)

I'm assuming it worked or you haven't had time to post back..either way..that's cool.

I'm workin' on a new way to display the data so it doesn't "cost" so much. I'm hoping I can ditch the JTable display and go with a JList and custom renderer...we'll see.

well, questions or comments are welcome. see ya.

Just wanted to say thanks for that code sample... And all that you have shared here. It really helps get me motivated and excited about how much better development on OS X will be.

Thanks again! Everything works great! I also like the drop-down window (sheet) with the priority settings when you double-click a process in your app... Great touch!

Originally posted by IamBob
I'm assuming it worked or you haven't had time to post back..either way..that's cool.

I've been a bit busy. Exams etc. Then i got a new mobile phone (sponsored by the University lucky me) and i bought a burner. I'm also working on building my own audio amplifier. So i have and still are a bit busy.
It seems it is working, but i'm not really working on it at the moment. I should have more time from Friday on, so i''ll start working on it from then.

DJ

Thanks!

I love being able to help. I'm hoping I can get Nicer's source up sometime soon. I've got a bit more optimizing and cleaning up to do but it's about as done as I can get it alone.

So, anyone think we should start a free-for-all Java thread? I'd love to continue this but I don't think this thread is the best place. Maybe I'll start it when I update Nicer in a couple days.

well, I'm off. see ya.

Originally posted by ??
Everything works great! I also like the drop-down window (sheet) with the priority settings when you double-click a process in your app... Great touch!

I downloaded Nicer and nothing happens when I double-click a process. I don't know what's wrong. There is also a problem with scrolling (items at the edge of the visible table are scrunched up). Hm..

Originally posted by tie
There is also a problem with scrolling (items at the edge of the visible table are scrunched up). [/B]

Okay, I just posted that assuming that this was a problem with Apple's Java implementation. However, I do know that NSTable displays just fine with Java. Perhaps you should consider moving away from a pure Java interface.

I don't know, Java is very nice in theory, but unless you plan on making your app cross-platform the interface will always be more elegant if you use platform-specific code. Just my opinion and I could be wrong, of course.

IAmBob -

A Free-For-All Java thread sounds like a good idea. I think it would be a good incentive to develop some GUIs for other shell commands. One GUI I would really like to develop, setting cron jobs. That would be really nice.

Let me know if you would like any help, or would need any participation in a new thread.

Thanks again for all your help! :D

However, I do know that NSTable displays just fine with Java.

Do you have any examples for us? :) I'd love to be able to use these classes but can't find decent Java-style docs on them. What I've found looks like it's geared toward the Obj-C guys and requires too much reading. :)

As for the interface for Nicer...I know. The scrollbars are kinda whacky and double-clicking in the table doesn't always work(sometimes 3 clicks'll do it). I used a rigid size on the table(and window) because of how the stripes are implemented. Allowing resizing would be bad. So there may be some scrunching.

On another note, my latest build is a lot speedier. I managed to remove 20+ Vectors. Each row was a Vector and all of them were in a Vector(a Vector of Vectors) then there was a Vector that kept track of the PIDs...all done alot more efficiently now. From the parser I'm directly adding the rows using myDefaultTableModel.addRow(Object[] row) where the Object[] is a String[] instead of using the Vector hell. I've dropped the About Window and made it put a message in the status label at the bottom(killing off the dialog bug, I hope)....

..now if only I could figure out how to use the NS classes I could speed it up a bit more. :)

So where do we want the new thread? General Discussions? I'll go make it there just for the sake of doing it. it can be found here.

[added the link]
[fixed the link]

[Edited by IamBob on 11-29-2000 at 03:13 PM]

However, I do know that NSTable displays just fine with Java.

Do you have any examples for us? :) I'd love to be able to use these classes but can't find decent Java-style docs on them. What I've found looks like it's geared toward the Obj-C guys and requires too much reading. :)

As for the interface for Nicer...I know. The scrollbars are kinda whacky and double-clicking in the table doesn't always work(sometimes 3 clicks'll do it). I used a rigid size on the table(and window) because of how the stripes are implemented. Allowing resizing would be bad. So there may be some scrunching.

On another note, my latest build is a lot speedier. I managed to remove 20+ Vectors. Each row was a Vector and all of them were in a Vector(a Vector of Vectors) then there was a Vector that kept track of the PIDs...all done alot more efficiently now. From the parser I'm directly adding the rows using myDefaultTableModel.addRow(Object[] row) where the Object[] is a String[] instead of using the Vector hell. I've dropped the About Window and made it put a message in the status label at the bottom(killing off the dialog bug, I hope)....

..now if only I could figure out how to use the NS classes I could speed it up a bit more. :)

So where do we want the new thread? General Discussions? I'll go make it there just for the sake of doing it. it can be found here.

[added the link]
[fixed the link]

[Edited by IamBob on 11-29-2000 at 03:13 PM]

There are some nice docs on apple's developer page. They are kind of hard to find, but I usually do it by just searching for NSTextField or whatever. Here's the link:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Java/AppKitTOC.html

HTH,
F-bacher

Thanks for the heads up but those were the docs I was talking about. They're part of the developer tools too, I think. :)

I was browsing through them earlier and they look *ok* but the way they're put together isn't quite right. Java docs should show you exactly what the package structure is, what the constructors are, the inner classes, variables and methods. Each should have a little description and in some cases an example usage...these seem to either not exist in Apple's docs or are spread out with too much or not enough info.

I like the idea of being able to drag-n-drop a GUI together(Interface Builder) but even this seems overly complicated. This is why I've been hand-coding my GUI since day 1...no IDE is easy enough to use. If I had the Java-style docs I've come to love I could convert my app to use these new classes in a snap. It only took me a half an hour to understand Swing(and about 2hrs to convert all my awt code to use it). There wasn't a huge change in how things were done, the docs were awesome and there's several forums so help doesn't seem far away. Even if there had been a huge change in how things were done(like between Java1 and 1.1 events) as long as the docs are clear it wouldn't take long to get it.

...sorry, I had to vent that.

anyway..I really do appreciate your trying to help. :) I'm just not happy that I'm going to have to camp in Apples docs and test my way through...but of course, I'll get it eventually. Maybe I should just pick up a couple Obj-C books and get it over with :)

Thanks for the heads up but those were the docs I was talking about. They're part of the developer tools too, I think. :)

I was browsing through them earlier and they look *ok* but the way they're put together isn't quite right. Java docs should show you exactly what the package structure is, what the constructors are, the inner classes, variables and methods. Each should have a little description and in some cases an example usage...these seem to either not exist in Apple's docs or are spread out with too much or not enough info.

I like the idea of being able to drag-n-drop a GUI together(Interface Builder) but even this seems overly complicated. This is why I've been hand-coding my GUI since day 1...no IDE is easy enough to use. If I had the Java-style docs I've come to love I could convert my app to use these new classes in a snap. It only took me a half an hour to understand Swing(and about 2hrs to convert all my awt code to use it). There wasn't a huge change in how things were done, the docs were awesome and there's several forums so help doesn't seem far away. Even if there had been a huge change in how things were done(like between Java1 and 1.1 events) as long as the docs are clear it wouldn't take long to get it.

...sorry, I had to vent that.

anyway..I really do appreciate your trying to help. :) I'm just not happy that I'm going to have to camp in Apples docs and test my way through...but of course, I'll get it eventually. Maybe I should just pick up a couple Obj-C books and get it over with :)

Most of the functions are pretty self explanitary. You go into interface builder, you say to urself, "I need a text box to put a number into." You drag and drop the text box and low and behold, the text NSTextField is selected in the classes tab! From there you scurry off to the NSTextField docs to find very conviently that everything u wanted to do to a text box is there, and with pretty intuitive names, such as setDoubleValue() and doubleValue().

I do wish apple will give more examples of ussage, and maybe a complete explanation of everything (instead of explanation forthcoming messages) would be nice, but I think IB and PB work together great. But whatever floats ur boat is fine by me.

I'm having serious problems with Swing.

I'm attempting to make my program look as "Aquafied" as possible and am suffering for it. I haven't found a good way to give it the stripped look. I've got all these repaint problems and I'm ready to write Apple to tell them where to stick the MacLookAndFeel.

Swing may eventually look similar to a mac app, but I doubt any Swing apps will ever behave like a mac app. From what I've seen it doesn't have the level of abstraction necessary like Cocoa does.

Perhaps a start would be to implement text behavior like the mac does. Is that even possible? It's possible in Cocoa (although Apple hasn't don it yet!).

Back