Changing the Icon for Apps with counters...

Smoolean

Registered
I know about copying and pasting icons into the view info screen for apps. But, for example, if I wanted to change the icon for NetNewsWire Lite (IMO it's hideous) I get lost, because everytime the program launches it resets the icon. I'm pretty sure this is because the program displays the number of unread entries in your dock over the icon. Does anyone know how to work around this? I'd really like to change the icon for it, and I'm sure many other users on these boards are curious as well.

Thanks,
Smoolean

I am assuming you installed the developer's tools.

01. For simplicity - temporarily place 'NetNewsWire Lite' on your 'Desktop', and it no in use - if so, quit it.
02. In 'Finder' select the 'Go, Go to Folder' menu item, enter

~/Desktop/NetNewsWire Lite.app/Contents/Resources/

... and click the 'OK' button.

03. Locate, select, and rename 'appIcon.icns' as 'appIcon.icns_'.
04. In 'Finder' select the 'Go, Go to Folder' menu item, enter

/Developer/Applications/Utilities/

... and click the 'OK' button.

05. Locate, in the 'Utilities' folder - 'Icon Composer', and launch it.
06. Drag your desired graphic onto, or paste it into, the 'Thumbnail' 'Image RGB/Alpha (32 Bit)' square.
07. Paste in a 48x48 pixel version of the graphic you dragged or pasted into 'Thumbnail' square into, or drag the 'Thumbnail' image up to, the 'Huge (48x48)' 'Image RGB/Alpha (32 Bit)' square. Read each alert box presented carefully before clicking on the default button.
08. Paste in a 32x32 pixel version of the graphic you dragged or pasted into 'Thumbnail' square onto, or drag the 'Huge (48x48)' image up to, the 'Large (32x32)' 'Image RGB/Alpha (32 Bit)' square. Read each alert box presented carefully before clicking on the default button.
09. Paste in a 16x16 pixel version of the graphic you dragged or pasted into 'Thumbnail' square onto, or drag the 'Large (32x32)' image up to the 'Small (16x16)' 'Image RGB/Alpha (32 Bit)' square. Read each alert box presented carefully before clicking on the default button.
10. Click on the red 'crayola crayon' close button. The 'Save As...' sheet will appear.
11. Click on the 'Go into application bundles' check box, to add a check mark.
12. Navigate to 'NetNewsWire Lite's 'Resources' folder, and save your creation as 'appIcon.icns'.
13. Locate 'NetNewsWire Lite' on the 'Desktop', click on it once, and select 'Finder's 'File, Get Info' menu item. The 'NetNewsWire Lite Info' window will appear.
14. Locate and click once on the upper left icon, and then press the <delete> key, and paste a copy of the same graphic you dragged or pasted in Step 06. above.
15. You may now relocate 'NetNewsWire Lite'.

When you now double click on 'NetNewsWire Lite', the new icon will appear on the 'Dock' - and the value of any unread RSS feeds displayed over it.

The reason for 'appIcon.icns_'? Just in case, just in case ...

barhar, I've having trouble finding the developer's tools for download. I am only running 10.3.9, not 10.4, is it available for me?

If you have the 'retail' 'Panther' installation discs - the 'Developer's disc is the fourth disc.

Otherwise, go here, scroll down to 'barhar', and follow the instructions.

(had to edit those instructions because of the board rules, barhar...) - Go to developer.apple.com, get a free membership and download Xcode. Simple. :)

Back