Cheapest method for capturing analogue video?

bookem

danno
What's the cheapest solution for getting analogue video into my mac, preferably using Firewire? I'd like to loose as little frames as possible.

Here's one for $250: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=130661
You can probably go a little cheaper, but not much.

POINTLESS SPELLING/GRAMMAR RANT:
It will allow you to capture analog (not analogue) video via firewire.
It will also LOSE (one "o") as FEW (not as little) frames as possible.

sorry, sometimes I can't help myself...

EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that the word "analogue" can in fact be used to mean a type of video signal. I stand corrected.

brianleahy said:
Here's one for $250: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=130661
You can probably go a little cheaper, but not much.

POINTLESS SPELLING/GRAMMAR RANT:
It will allow you to capture analog (not analogue) video via firewire.
It will also LOSE (one "o") as FEW (not as little) frames as possible.

sorry, sometimes I can't help myself...

Actually, analogue is correct.
On another note, my neighbours flat is a weird colour...

"Analogue" -- spelled exactly that way -- is a common word in both England and the US, but I had never before heard it used to describe a video signal. Until now, I'd always heard "analogue" used as a noun: "Something that bears an analogy to something else: e.g. 'Surimi is marketed as an analogue of crabmeat.' " But I see now that it can be an adjective too, so my bad.

But as long as we're on the subject, if you're capturing 'analogue' video from a PAL source (the standard used in the UK) the device I recommended probably won't work.

brianleahy said:
"Analogue" -- spelled exactly that way -- is a common word in both England and the US, but I had never before heard it used to describe a video signal. Until now, I'd always heard "analogue" used as a noun: "Something that bears an analogy to something else: e.g. 'Surimi is marketed as an analogue of crabmeat.' " But I see now that it can be an adjective too, so my bad.

But as long as we're on the subject, if you're capturing 'analogue' video from a PAL source (the standard used in the UK) the device I recommended probably won't work.

Actually, it is analogy, not analogue (or analog). Analogue and analogue are both correct spellings of the same word, I believe. Check out formac or eyeTV for video capture devices.

-JARinteractive

I hate to contradict you, but analogue is definitely used as a noun as well.

Fire up your Sherlock dictionary; the noun usage is given as the primary definition. The following is pasted DIRECTLY from my Sherlock window:

----------------------------------------------------------

analogue

\An"a*logue\ (?; 115), n. [F. ?, fr. Gr. ?.] 1. That which is analogous to, or corresponds with, some other thing.

The vexatious tyranny of the individual despot meets its analogue in the insolent tyranny of the many. --I. Taylor.

2. (Philol.) A word in one language corresponding with one in another; an analogous term; as, the Latin ``pater'' is the analogue of the English ``father.''

------------

Analog...analogue...for the love of god...serenity now...serenity now...

Back on topic. One option might be to capture your analog signal to a DV (or even Digital 8) camera or deck if you just happen to have one. Granted, many consumer model video cameras do not provide analog capture, but more and more do these days.

So it's a two step process (usually), record the analog into your DV camera, then Firewire your camera into the computer.

That's a good idea - in fact, if you have a digital 8 camera like mine, you can even play standard 8mm and Hi8 recordings back, and get DV output. Can't get much cheaper than that (assuming you already have the camera...)

I was using a Formac Studio box to do this (I had my PS2 hooked up) note all this is past tense, as since I got rid of my G4 and got a G5, the Studio does not work properly :mad:

I'm sure there's a TV PCI card somewhere with video/audio input, they are common enough...

Edit: here's one: http://www.miglia.com/products/video/alchemytv/

bookem said:
What's the cheapest solution for getting analogue video into my mac, preferably using Firewire? I'd like to loose as little frames as possible.

I ordered the DAZZLE Hollywood DV Bridge(it connects to the computer via Firewire) from ClubMac to convert some VHS tapes to digital and then burned them to DVD's...It was $155 including taxes and shipping. I used iMovie to create 10 min clips of the tapes...Then I could either use IDVD or Toast 6 to burn the clips to DVD's or CD's. I liked the end result as the DVD's were set up to allow playing any 10 min segment as a choice.

Matt

If you decide to go the PCI-card route, make sure your Mac has a free PCI slot. Bear in mind that most G5 models have PCI-X slots, not PCI slots.

To my understanding, PCI-X is not backward-compatible with PCI cards.

One reminder for analog capture people. If your intention is to archive analog video or have a need to go back and re-edit said video, a direct-analog capture solution is not going to help you. You're going to want to get that analog video to a digital medium immediately (such as copying it to a DV tape). Otherwise you won't have timecode to reference for re-edits. (unless you paintstakingly back up your clips to another medium).

brianleahy said:
If you decide to go the PCI-card route, make sure your Mac has a free PCI slot. Bear in mind that most G5 models have PCI-X slots, not PCI slots.

To my understanding, PCI-X is not backward-compatible with PCI cards.

quote (http://www.intronics.nl/intronics/eng/pcix.jsp): "Will conventional PCI cards be compatible in PCI-X based systems?
Yes, conventional PCI cards will be compatible in PCI-X systems. The PCI card will run at its assigned speed (either 33 MHz or 66 MHz), and will experience no speed improvements due to operating in a PCI-X environment."

so the at least the PCI-slots are not an issue and the 1.6 GHz G5 has regular PCI-slots anyway.

brianleahy said:
That's a good idea - in fact, if you have a digital 8 camera like mine, you can even play standard 8mm and Hi8 recordings back, and get DV output. Can't get much cheaper than that (assuming you already have the camera...)

My Sony DCR-TRV18 will take an analog input and send it directly out as a DV stream to the computer :)

Brian

brianleahy said:
I hate to contradict you, but analogue is definitely used as a noun as well.

Fire up your Sherlock dictionary; the noun usage is given as the primary definition. The following is pasted DIRECTLY from my Sherlock window:

----------------------------------------------------------

analogue

\An"a*logue\ (?; 115), n. [F. ?, fr. Gr. ?.] 1. That which is analogous to, or corresponds with, some other thing.

The vexatious tyranny of the individual despot meets its analogue in the insolent tyranny of the many. --I. Taylor.

2. (Philol.) A word in one language corresponding with one in another; an analogous term; as, the Latin ``pater'' is the analogue of the English ``father.''

------------

Analogue connections are also known as composite ports/plugs (Composite being a synonym of analogue). Analog looks like the US spelling.

Yeah, that's what it looks like. I discovered after my orignal reply that "analogue" - used as an adjective for a video signal, rather than as a noun - is indeed valid, as confirmed by the 2nd set of definitions in Sherlock dictionary:"adj : (electronics) of a circuit or device having an output that is proportional to the input; "analogue device"; "linear amplifier""

In fact, if you follow Clave's link, you'll see it even says that "You can capture from any analogue device using the composite or S-VHS connectors..."

CEMatt said:
I ordered the DAZZLE Hollywood DV Bridge(it connects to the computer via Firewire) from ClubMac to convert some VHS tapes to digital and then burned them to DVD's...It was $155 including taxes and shipping. I used iMovie to create 10 min clips of the tapes...Then I could either use IDVD or Toast 6 to burn the clips to DVD's or CD's. I liked the end result as the DVD's were set up to allow playing any 10 min segment as a choice.

Matt

This seems like what I'm after. Right kind of price, and does exactly what I want it to. I have a Sony PC-7 DV cam, but it doesn't have analog(ue)?? in, because it's sooo old so that's out of the question. Basically you've done exactly what I want to do with it! :cool:

Thanks for the responses guys - appreciated :)

bookem said:
This seems like what I'm after. Right kind of price, and does exactly what I want it to.

Our first attempt at capturing analogue video was using a Formac Studio box. Never seemed to be able to get it to work properly without loads of tweaking, endless restarts etc.

In comparison, every time we have used a camcorder as a go-between it has worked seamlessly without any problems.

If you're based in the UK, remember that many camcorders only have DV output, as they have had their DV inputs disabled to avoid a rather stupid EU tax. Camcorders that are DV in/out usually say so, but make sure!

Back