Chimera 0.2.4 - Plugins!

googolplex

jeff.hume.ca
The Chimera Report,

:D

From chimera.mozdev.org -

The newest build of Chimera is 0.2.4. You can download it from the following location:

Dave's iDisk

The above build contains experimental plugin support. If you value stability on pages with plugins, you will probably want to avoid this build. If you want to see our progress, then happy downloading. If not, you should probably stick with 0.2.3.

You can get it from here right now - http://homepage.mac.com/mozilladave/Public/chimera24.dmg.gz

I will post a mirror when I get home today.

I'm excited, but you all knew that :D

It's on versontraker too. I have a pretty good download speed. It just unstuffed... gotta go play.

Twister

Got a bit worried with you not announcing 0.2.3:D

Look, just include me in the headline when they finally have a decent way to close tabs and/or can get tabs to load in the background. That's when I'll try this thing again;)

If anyone really needs it i can stuff mine back up and put it out there. But the versiontracker link worked for me. Maybe i just got there at the right time

twister ;)

Yeah I was getting decent speeds... 120k/s is not good but not bad from versiontracker.

I enjoy the gamma correction in this one. The last version was a little dark on some pages. Also the mouse seems heavy but these are of course minor details.

voice- I agree with you that there is a missing feature but how would they implement it? I don't even think it's possible to put a little x on the right side like mozilla because of the interface builder stuff. My only idea is maybe in the customized tool bar there could be a button to close tab. If that were the case I would opt to cmd-y because I like my toolbar slim. There really isn't any other way to implement this.

OMG! This build rules!

I can't wait til it gets some more features like speech and spell check, but so far so good! I was totally wrong about anti-aliasing. It looks great!

Time to test out some plugins!

Wow. Just yesterday I was thinking to myself - "I wonder at what version Chimera will be able to handle plugins." I've only tested it on my web design site (GearHead Multimedia ), which uses Flash 5 - and it works great. Keep in mind that OmniWeb, with it's Flash 5 support can't view this site correctly - it just loads the first movie, but not the second ones. I'm testing QT now by watching the ATOC trailer (Full Size!), and it works just fine.

I continue to be impressed with Chimera and it's developers. It's still missing many features, but it's fast, stable, renders HTML/CSS correctly, and now supports plugins.

Chimera rocks - nuff said.

strange enough... rendering table pages is very fast - as always on chimera, but the browser application still feels like gum to me. moving over CSS hover links (like the http://story.ch menu i did) is so slow that i actually start to like OW *not* doing it yet.
:)
Well, I'm just very, very glad that we have new browser wars on OS X. It was getting all too easy for IE on Macintosh before OS X came along.

The latest version doesn't like the Java plugin I've found out. It dies whenever I load a page with any Java.

Java isn't a normal plugin. It needs special stuff to get it working. They are working on it I think.

And hover is slow, I've noticed that, probalby because of anti-aliasing.

Originally posted by googolplex
And hover is slow, I've noticed that, probalby because of anti-aliasing.
Nope, something else must be causing that problem. Hover is instant with my April 22nd build of Mozilla Mach-O with ATSUI.

Really? I haven't tried the mach-o build with ATSUI. I wonder what it could be. Where did you get your build from? Or did you build it yourself? I'd like to test that out.

Originally posted by googolplex
Really? I haven't tried the mach-o build with ATSUI. I wonder what it could be. Where did you get your build from? Or did you build it yourself? I'd like to test that out.

It's on my iDisk:
http://homepage.mac.com/marmoset

I'll probably do another one tonight or tomorrow, depending on the state of the tinderbox -- the Darwin tinderbox is showing red right now for some reason.

Is the EMBED tag Micro$oft only? If so, is there any way to include a QuickTime plugin (i.e. that little strip with the play button) on a page so that it'll work in another browser? If I just link to the audio file it has the little play thing, but I don't see how to put something else on the page.

Thanks...

-the valrus

I just downloaded the mach-o build with ATSUI and it's AWESOME. it's fast and beautiful !!

By the way, there seems to be no plug-in support. No Flash, even no file transfer available :(

am I doing something wrong? or is it a bug?

anyway, Great job for those who made this build :)

there's also no tabs support, the theme sucks and so on. but it shows that css-hovers can be fast in quartz with antialiasing. go chimera! go omniweb! :)

Back