Chimera 0.2.7!

googolplex

jeff.hume.ca
Since the 'Chimera Thread' has disappeared into the ashes of the forum I will anounce it here. Chimera 0.2.7! :)

What's New (0.2.6 -> 0.2.7) You can now drag the page proxy icon from the URL bar to the personal toolbar or to the bookmarks in the drawer.

The proxy icon can be dragged to the tab strip (as can bookmarks from the drawer) to create new tabs.

You can now reorder your bookmarks using drag and drop in the drawer.

The key bindings for back and forward have been changed from arrows to the bracket keys.

The bug with not being able to type in forms on your home page has been fixed.

http://chimera.mozdev.org/installation.html

I'm not big on teh key bindings change. I liked the arrow keys. :(

Rats! I'm stuck here in front of this Dell POS for the next 8 hours!
I wanna go home and play with Chimera 0.2.7!!!
:(

use 'search' to find 'the chimera thread'. you could have added to that one. :) but i guess as long as the front page only has *one* chimera thread, that's just fine.

Yeah, shoulda just put this one on the Chimera thread. Maybe 0.3 will deserve its own...

I dunno, I was kinda hoping downloading would work in this one. As in, it would actually be implemented in the interface, not the pathetic husk of a download manager we have now.

But it would be retarded of them not to get around to it, so I'm content to wait. I still set Chimera as my default browser.

-the valrus

Looking good, but maaaan, I really want to be able to edit my bookmarks! Please soon!
Anyone close with the project have any idea when this will be in?

I don't think one chimera thread is a good idea, because then people have to look in the thread to see a new release. This attracts more people. Anyways there haven't been that many new threads in this forum lately.

Fryke: I think chimera deserves its own forum :p heh heh

I'm also stuck infront of a PC...

iamnotmad: they are working on lots of things. It will all come in time. They have the button there, they just need to implement it.

Chimera's Big Mistake Number One™...

With 0.2.7, they have moved the binding for the back/forward controls from the arrows to the brackets ('[' and ']'). For the love of all things Macintosh, WHY??? It breaks the "standard" method used my every other browser on Mac OS and also wreaks havoc on international users who don't have those keys easily accessible.

:mad: :confused: :mad:

I blame those idiots on the mailing list who want to make Chimera a totally unique browser. Yeah, it's gonna be totally unique by using completely random key bindings and alienating non-US users.

One quite from the list:

> and is terrible on a French keyboard :
>
> Back : Shift-Command-Option 5
> Forward : Shift-Command-Option °

end rant.

As many of you may remember, I stated that although Navigator (yes, I like Navigator more than Chimera, cause it harkens back to the day when Navigator was the BEST browser available on any platform, which is what this browser is shaping up to be) is my default browser now (sorry Mozilla), my two main difficulties with it are: ability to manage bookmarks, and being able to click on a link and have it actually download (yeah, I know the right click " Save Link As" works, but I don't want to go through that step.

Anyway, the bookmark issue is now almost completely fixed. We can arrange, now we just have to be able to edit (this should come soon, I assume?).

I'm just continually amazed at how fast this project is coming together. Which brings me to another point...

What do you think is going through the minds of the OmniWeb developers at this moment? If I were them, I'd have to be seriously considering halting work on OW, and joining the Navigator development team. Both apps have the same end goal in mind - create a best of breed Cocoa browser for OS X. Only, Navigator has accomplished in months what OW has taken years to do. And I just don't see the OW developers overcoming OW's achilles heel - it's rendering engine.

Anyway, I guess having two competing browsers is a good thing, right?

Aren't the brackets used to format code in BBEdit and Pepper? Maybe the developers are so used to using them and decided to incorporate them in Chimera...

I like arrow keys too.

serpi: I am still wondering when the Chimera developers are going to get over their Achilles heel: slow as heck forms.

The usual complaints about Chimera still stand.. sorry gplex.

And OmniWeb's speed is slowly climbing... slowly but surely. And it's much more mature than Chimera, anyway. There are many little things in OmniWeb that I like: when you click on a "mailto:" link, OmniWeb puts a subject line "Re: (page title)" in the new message, which is VERY handy. It's things like this that make me want to continue to use OmniWeb.

The complaints still stand for me too :), but I'm more able to put up with alpha software lacking in some areas :D.

What do you mean? You could buy something. If you are worried about it going through then go with whatever your comfortable with.

Option-click on a link, it'll bring up a download dialog.
Good thing Chimera now works with proxy servers that need passwords :)

I seem to get a lot of spinning pizza, and also seems slow to open new tabs and switch between them. Does everyone else experience this. It seems actually worse than some of the earlier releases.

It might be that I have quartz turned on. I'll try it for a while with it off, but I really like it on.

What are you guys using mostly? Quartz or no Quartz?

Thanks.

Back