chimera 0.2 (kind of) released

Originally posted by googolplex
sim, Because you or someone else always starts and arguement in one tof these threads. I'm not saying its finished. Sorry that my first post didn't warn people about that, I thougt that maybe 0.2 gave it away...

I dont even use it as my default browser. Omniweb is in that position!! Can both of us stop littering up these threads with arguements and maybe have some nice disscussion and reviews like vanguard.

vanguard, very nice and fair review.

:)

P.S. sim, I'm not madat you just a little annoyed :D

Well I'm the one that should be annoyed. I posted my review and it provoked a reaction – sure it focused on the negatives, but it was a review nontheless.

Whatever.

Anyway, I have to admit that Chimera is the only other browser (besides OmniWeb, of course :D ) that looks half-decent in Mac OS X.

sim, lets both stop argueing. :D. I really don't want to do this anymore. Thank you for complimenting it there :D.

Friends,

I found the file that stores the bookmarks. It was in this dir: ~/.mozilla/Profiles/Chimera/slqzc163.slt and it's named bookmarks.xml .

I can see the temptation to store the data in xml. However, the fact that it's not using the standard html format the mozilla uses means that it's hard for me to keep my bookmarks in sync without a conversion utility. As far as I can tell, it doesn't come with one.

On a smaller note, I wish it was stored under ~/Library/whatever. That would be more in line with the osx standards I've observed so far.

Also, it seems to be a little faster than normal mozilla at opening tabs, new windows, etc.

So, I'll probably switch back to mozilla and look forward to future chimera releases. The bookmark thing is a personal showstopper.

Vanguard

Chimera is a tad faster at opening tabs...now, how the fuck do I close them?
Tabs are important to me, and the only real reason to use any Mozilla build. I want Chimera to be the ultimate OS X browser, I really do. I want it to have the lloks and Aqua feel of OmniWeb, the tabs and support of Mozilla and the speed to put both of them to shame, but it looks bad when I can't:
  • Close tabs
  • Right/ctrl-click
  • Import my Mozilla favorites
    [/list=a]

I like the new icons. But Chimera seems that doesn't support Chinese characters yet or any other 2-byte characters.

Cheers!

Yeah, the text field update speed is slow, but Chimera/Navigator is amazing for a 0.2 release browser! I like the anti-aliasing! Definitely not ready to be a default browser yet, but this is gonna be one kick butt browser when it's at version 1.

Great job Chimera/Navigator developers! You guys rock so hard!!!

-B

Wow, this browser rocks! And typing in text field isn't lagging at all :confused:
At least not when not typing more than 250 WPM :rolleyes:
Now, bye-bye to IE and bye-bye to microsoft. Finally I can have a 100 % microsoft free computer. The reason for no switching earlier was that all other browsers than IE was actually slower than IE on my old machine.

I admit that the text field problem will probably not be as bad to many users as it is to me, because I use the dvorak keyboard layout. It has seriously increased my typing speed by about 20-25 WPM, so I can probably complete a typing test at around 90-100 WPM (these are just guesses, I've never actually tested myself).

Still, NO application should lag behind your typing, no matter how fast you type.

Ah, well. I can always wait for Navigator 0.3. :rolleyes:

(gplex, I'm just being funny -- I still am waiting for the day when I can use Navigator exclusively, but now's not that day)

I can see your point.
Let's wait for 1.0 ;)
0.2 is only an alpha anyway. I can't get menus to work, either, what's that?
Let's go and find mozilla, and use that when I need menus working. This really makes sense. What a perfectly organized and clean world we live in :rolleyes:

Originally posted by voice-
simX, do you mind filling me in on this?

It's a more effecient keyboard layout than qwerty, where the first 4 letters are dvorak, not qwerty :)

Well, I got it to crash about 20 seconds after it's loaded by clicking on the show sidebar thing :(
Other than that, it's quite zippy

Kind of strange, the name change though. Cause half of it is Chimera (the dock icon), and half of it is Navigator. Why couldn't they just stick with Chimera? :-/

It doesn't seem as lightning fast anymore, but that may be because OmniWeb has sped up dramatically since I've last used 0.13.
It's getting there though...

why does everyone here name it Chimera when it's new name is "Navigator"?:p

one thing good i noticed: when you roll your mouse over a link on these forums it turns orange, some browsers doesn't even have support for that. thats good:D

Wait a minute, so they have a project name and a real name? That's stupid. That's like advertising a store and then when you go there it's named something else...

navigator is the product but the project is called chimera. Just like how AOL has netscape but the project is mozilla. I think...

Back