Chimera 0.5 is out!

I know that all other browsers use cmd+arrow, but it's because of that that I find IE so frustrating to use. Without the mouse, sometimes there is no way to move the cursor to the beginning or end of a line. At least OW's being Cocoa means that the Emacs keystrokes work for moving around the cursor.

I have heard about the problem you mentioned with the Swiss German keyboard. This was posted by a Swiss guy on the Chimera list to remap the arrows:

1: Close Chimera.
2: Open your terminal
3: Paste the following line into your terminal and hit enter.

defaults write org.mozilla.navigator NSUserKeyEquivalents '{"Back" =
"@\UF702"; "Forward" = "@\UF703";"Previous Tab" = "@\$\UF702"; "Next Tab" =
"@\$\UF703";}'

Hope this helps....

I didn't even knew that I could go forward and backward with the arrow keys. I always use backspace and Shift-backspace.

What we mean is forward and backward in the browser history. Previous page, next page kind of thing. Not PageUp, PageDown.

Actually, that does work for browser history. Wow, I never knew that. At least it works in IE for Windows, which I run at work.

Anyway, Chimera 0.5 is EXTREMELY buggy at home... until yesterday, it was fine. Now, each time I try to open any URL, I get a beach ball which never ends. Command-Alt-Escape...

Back to IE 5. Waiting for Chimera 0.50 not-nightly-build.

You might want to delete the Chimera folder in /Library/Application support....

or at least move it tothe desktop and relaunch chimera.

Just deleted the application, downloaded it again and reinstalled. Now working fine, though I'm trying Netscape 7 at the moment. Not so bad...

Originally posted by toast
Also:

Argh ! Command-LeftArrow and Command-RightArrow won't push me Back and Forward ! :( :( :(

they switched it to the mozilla standard command-[ and command-] for forward and back.

but mozillas shortcut is also the arrows..

i prefer the arrows :p

im gonna cry and pout now and you cant stop me! ;)

Huh... that's funny... Command Left arrow and Command Right arrow work in my copy of Mozilla 1.0.... Go fig.

I downloaded chimera and for some reason it says that navigator is already running under my account when it really isn't, under one user account it works and under another it doesn't, because it says it's already running...what's the deal??? can anyone help?

Originally posted by BuddahBobb
but mozillas shortcut is also the arrows..

i prefer the arrows :p

im gonna cry and pout now and you cant stop me! ;)

As I've said, for navigation in text boxes and fields, it so makes sense. I also thought it ridiculous, but now that I think about it, it makes up for one of the HUGE faults in Mac OS: no OS-wide way to move to the beginning and end of a line. In Unix (Cocoa included) it is ^A and ^E and in DOS/Windows it is Home and End keys. One of the things that has pissed me off about Mac OS from the day I started using it.

Okay, so chimera is just Navigator....and Mozilla 1.1 is the whole package, with the mail and all that other cute shi*t, right? :) God, i'm such a n00b

okay, i'm just a jackass, i figured out what it was...bleh...lol It's super fast, i'm loving it :) IE isn't really my preference anymore. Mozzilla 1.1 is nice but still takes a bit longer to load.

Nope. AFAIK, they all use the same engine, but not the same browsers. Netscape is now based on Mozilla, previously, if not still, the unstable nightly builds. Chimera is written in Cocoa and extremely fast. Those are the very basics.

Apple/Steve Jobs-

Dump IE already, eesh.

Chimera is the clear choice for the future.

Do the right thing. Damnit.

Originally posted by Hobeaux

they switched it to the mozilla standard command-[ and command-] for forward and back.

Hey, now I've got to press FOUR keys to use Backward and Forward !!!! That's a bad choice !!!!

NOTE: I've gotta press Command+Alt+Shift+( to go back, for instance… it sux.

This thread made me curious enough to try the app for the first ttime and I love it, but... quicktime playback and flash is terrible. If you move a window or scroll while a quicktime movie plays, it is very slow to respond and refresh. Some flash movies just don't work right with this browser, I had to go back to IE to use some sites. IE is still my fav, but I love the usefulness of tabbed browsing and the fast page loads of Chimera, but I guess I will stick with IE as my default for now.

Back