Chimera > iWeb

Should Chimera turn into 'iWeb' or anything like that?

• Yes, make it so!

• I don't know. Apple doesn't really _need_ its own browser

• No way! Take the worst option to base Apple's own browser on? Argh!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Chimera was being used as the browser of choice by the Apple representative who came to talk to the Mac users group in my area in our monthly meeting in an auditorium.

I think the best idea would be to leave it Chimera, but just make it the default browser (once it is done of course and cleaned up a bit) instead of IE. But that might make life harder for none - geeked out Apple users. I don't know.

I just downloaded it for the first time after reading this thread. I must say I love it. So much in fact, that I have for the first time in years changed my default browser form IE!! (I was a PC owner before this Mac). I had tried Omin, and that Modzilla(sp?) one, but didn't love either of them enough to take IE off my dock and replace it with another. But I really like this browser. Now if I can find a great Word substitute then I would no longer be dependent on MS products at all. Not that I will not use them, but it is very nice to have choices! Yah know.

Matthew

:: inlineguy.com ::

Word Substitute? Try Think Free Office. $50.

Abiword is also good. But for real nice stuff, get Nisuswriter! Nisuswriter supports more languages than any other word processor and has unlimited undos.

cyberdog.jpg

Originally posted by Inline_guy

I just downloaded it for the first time after reading this thread. I must say I love it. So much in fact, that I have for the first time in years changed my default browser form IE!! (I was a PC owner before this Mac). I had tried Omin, and that Modzilla(sp?) one, but didn't love either of them enough to take IE off my dock and replace it with another. But I really like this browser

once it crashes two or three times in a row, you'll be back to IE. i love chimera, but it crashes too often for me :(

from what ive seen, all the iapps have the brushed metal interface which I dont think would work well on a browser. The will prolly do like with mail and just call it Internet or Web or something like that. I do agree that apple needs to bring it back in house.

Oh, and making software in house that is great is not being microsoftish. You still have the choice of which applications you use. Apple just happens to provide default ones that work well.

All the digital hub apps are brushed metal; a web browser isn't a digital hub app, so logically they wouldn't use the metal interface on it. The JAHIG says:

This window style has been designed specifically for
use by—and is therefore best suited to—applications that provide an interface for a
digital peripheral, such as a camera, or an interface for managing data shared with
digital peripherals, such as the Address Book application.

This appearance may also be appropriate for applications that strive to re-create a
familiar physical device—the Calculator application, for example. Avoid using the
textured window appearance in applications or utilities that are unrelated to digital
peripherals or to the data associated with these devices.

Back