Chimera Problem (10.2.2?)

Dave N

My OS X Goes to XI
I upgraded my Quicksilver G4 733 MHz to 10.2.2 a couple days ago. Now I'm getting the following error from Chimera when I try to connect to certain sites:

"www.whateversite.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again."

I can surf fine for maybe 2 hours or so, then this message starts popping up for certain websites. After a while, virtually any site I try to visit generates the same message. When I try the same website in IE or Mozilla I get a similar message. If I restart the computer everything is fine (for a while). Logging out does not fix the problem -- it takes a restart. My TiBook sharing the same ethernet connection has no problems, and can access the websites when the Quicksilver cannot.

Can anyone help?:confused:

I seem to remember having similar problems before 10.2.2. It was coupled with a few other problems as well (like internet explorer always taking over as default browser). One of the Forums mentioned that it had something to do with the 'cache' being full. I downloaded a program called 'Jaguar Cache cleaner" (or something like that) and it fixed the problems. No more 'could not be found' messages and most importantly Chimera can stay as the default browser.
Hope this helps.

The first thing I tried was deleting the Chimera cache via the preferences. This did not work. In fact, when I get this problem, every browser I use (IE, Mozilla) has it.

I tried the Jaguar Cache Cleaner, and used the "deep cleaning" option, but the problem still remains.

Any other suggestions? This is driving me nuts!

You might have a memory leak somewhere. I find this happens a lot with Limewire. What othe rprograms do you have running in the background? To find out where your resources are going open up Terminal and type in "top".
This will give you a nice view of what is open and how much system resources they are using.

On another note How much RAM do you have? I'm sure you tried zapping the PRAM.
Also do you shut down your computer often? I never shut down myu iBook at first but since I got my iMac, I shut my iBook down for days at a time. I noticed that it got painfully slow and found out that a couple of UNIX 'house-keeping' functions, that usually are preformed at night while sleeping, weren't being done. You could download Macjanitor which fixes some of these problems.

Thanks for the suggestions. This is my work computer and I shut it down every night, so maybe the Mac Janitor will help. I have 512 MB of RAM, and no I didn't zap the pram yet (but I will). Hopefully one of these will help.

It's a DNS issue when we can't get to sites. The DNS doesn't get updated so my machine cant find it cuz it's looking at the old address. I'm not sure how it could just start happening after a few hours buy maybe someone else does.

Just an idea....
Twister

Here's an update on this issue. I ran Mac Janitor last Friday, then just left my machine on all weekend. It didn't have the problem today, so I'm assuming that one of these two things helped. I plan to leave it on 24/7 now to let it do it's housekeeping functions.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Back