Chinese Character in OS X

Neozzz

Registered
How can I type Chinese character in U.S. version of OS X?
such as when I want to name iTunes mp3 sounds in Chinese...
anybody know?

Make sure you upgrade to the latest version of iTunes, version 2.0.2 at www.apple.com/itunes. This version supports other language characters better from what they say.

I believe what you need to do is open System Preferences, and select the International button. Then go to the "Keyboard Menu" tab. Then you can select the languages you'll be typing. A little flag will show up in the menu bar. I believe after that, just select the flag and a drop down menu will appear with your selected languages, just choose the one you wish to use, and then type!

I'm pretty sure this is how this works, however I've never fully tested it since I only installed the English language stuff in OS X during setup to save hard disk space.

Good luck!

If you have a latest version of Mac OS X 10.1 installed, you should have Chinese input method installed.
Just follow the instruction in the last post and you can type in Chinese in iTune. I've been using it all the day. Most apps can type in Chinese, too. (Except ICQ, which is a very poorly programmed application).

I chose the Chinese flag in the international menu, but I do not know the commands to type the chinese characters, Japanese works however.. not chinese.

It seems that you don't have the latest OS X 10.1 Installation disc.
The fact is here -
As Apple releases Mac OS X 10.1, there is actually 2 version of Installation disc available. The first available, the publically know as build 5G64, does not contains Chinese Input methods.
The second available (at least in Hong Kong) is know as build 5J34, which contains all Chinese Input methods.
The components missing in the first available version of Mac OS X installation disc cannot be downloaded from software update or Apple web site. Even after you have installed 10.1.1 update, the options is still not available.

The solution is to get a new OS X Update CD which is 5J34. If you are in Hong Kong, you can get it easily in Hong Kong's reseller. Just take one of the OS update coupon with you and ask them for the disc. It should be free.

i bought my os X.1 in the states... that means if I need to type chinese I must buy it in another region such as hong kong or taiwan right? do you guys know if the apple store here support different region os X.1? i'm not gona go fly to hong kong just to buy OS X so i can type chinese

Back