Chinese Font Problem In Ms Word V. X

jiale

Registered
Hi,
I've checked the yale.edu/chinesemac page > Applications, and have found confirmation of my experience that Chinese fonts don't work very well on Word X.
Specifically, my/the problem is that the characters show with normal spacing, but the space they take up on a line is twice as wide. The result is that although the margins are set properly, the text only goes as far as the middle of the page.
I'm guessing that it has something to do with double-byte encoding(?) but I haven't been able to figure this out by looking on the web. At least some of my fonts are Unicode, but I think I am using some other encodings as well.

Apparently the solution is to do something using one of the Office install CDs, which I don't have because a) I am away from home, in China, for the rest of this month; and b) my Office X on my laptop was installed by someone at my university, so I don't even have the CD at home anyway.
There is an alternate solution posted on yale.edu/chinesemac, which is a downloadable patch written by someone in Korea, but you have to choose either Traditional Chinese or Simplified Chinese, but I need both.

I am looking for both a short-term and a long-term solution:
in the short term, there is a document I need to create and print out by sometime early next week; in the long term, I really would like not to have this problem with Word anymore.

I currently run 10.2.8, which I am very happy with, in general. Eventually I'll need to upgrade to 10.3 or 10.4 or whatever, and then my problem will be partially solved because the later versions of TextEdit seem to have what it takes to do the Chinese editing that I need, but I'm a little reluctant to upgrade operating systems a few days before I need to have my finished document.

I tried Mellel and couldn't get myself around its interface. Nisus Writer Express isn't back to classic Writer standards, so I'm not ready to buy it yet. Word 2004 apparently also needs the install CD, so downloading that from a vendor also won't solve the short-term problem. When I'm back in the US, I can buy stuff in person, but it's a bit more difficult when I'm in a foreign country. Maybe I'll have to brave it and see if I can find an Apple store in Beijing and get a version of Word 2004 on CD (hopefully at an upgrade price)?

Joyce

jiale said:
Hi,
I've checked the yale.edu/chinesemac page > Applications, and have found confirmation of my experience that Chinese fonts don't work very well on Word X.
Specifically, my/the problem is that the characters show with normal spacing, but the space they take up on a line is twice as wide. The result is that although the margins are set properly, the text only goes as far as the middle of the page.
I'm guessing that it has something to do with double-byte encoding(?) but I haven't been able to figure this out by looking on the web. At least some of my fonts are Unicode, but I think I am using some other encodings as well.

Apparently the solution is to do something using one of the Office install CDs, which I don't have because a) I am away from home, in China, for the rest of this month; and b) my Office X on my laptop was installed by someone at my university, so I don't even have the CD at home anyway.
There is an alternate solution posted on yale.edu/chinesemac, which is a downloadable patch written by someone in Korea, but you have to choose either Traditional Chinese or Simplified Chinese, but I need both.

I am looking for both a short-term and a long-term solution:
in the short term, there is a document I need to create and print out by sometime early next week; in the long term, I really would like not to have this problem with Word anymore.

I currently run 10.2.8, which I am very happy with, in general. Eventually I'll need to upgrade to 10.3 or 10.4 or whatever, and then my problem will be partially solved because the later versions of TextEdit seem to have what it takes to do the Chinese editing that I need, but I'm a little reluctant to upgrade operating systems a few days before I need to have my finished document.

I tried Mellel and couldn't get myself around its interface. Nisus Writer Express isn't back to classic Writer standards, so I'm not ready to buy it yet. Word 2004 apparently also needs the install CD, so downloading that from a vendor also won't solve the short-term problem. When I'm back in the US, I can buy stuff in person, but it's a bit more difficult when I'm in a foreign country. Maybe I'll have to brave it and see if I can find an Apple store in Beijing and get a version of Word 2004 on CD (hopefully at an upgrade price)?

Joyce
Text Edit is now Word (.doc)-compatible. I don't remember if the version that shipped with MacOS X 10.2 has that functionality. However, it can't hurt to try. Launch Text Edit. Use your File/Open dialog box to open your file.

hello , Are u chinese? Welcome to Apple user BBS in china . http://www.MacX.cn to ask the question.
to type chinese word in word X , u need to install a plug-in.
or you can install the office 2004 for mac , it also can slove the problem

Back