chinese menu translation?

brianleahy

Colonel Panic
I was going to add this to an existing thread:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?p=371801

But I realized it was getting ever farther afield from Tiger, so here we are in the cafe. :D

Actually, "cafe" is especially appropriate, because I'm asking about a menu.

This link:

http://www.engrish.com/recent_detai...=Engrish from Other Countries&date=2005-04-13

...shows a Chinese menu (definitely Chinese, the caption says "Menu found in Shanghai, China."). The first item on the menu MUST have been translated rather poorly into English. Can anyone offer a better rendition of the Chinese?

I'd pop it into an online translator, but I have no way to key in the Chinese text.

yes, the translation is poor. but my english is as poor as it.

there are all subsidiary material(fixing and dressing).

23196 松鼠辅料
from the words, it is used to fried, wraping with it then frying, cause very puff looks like squirrel.

松鼠 means squirrel. pronounces "songshu"
辅料 means subsidiary material. pronounced "fuliao"

23291 避风塘料
I don't know what it is. 避风塘 is a restaurant in Shanghai. pronounced "bifengtang".
料=辅料, pronounced "liao"

23295 锅仔鲈鱼调料
fixing for weever by chafing pot.
锅仔 means chafing pot. pronounced "guozai"
鲈鱼 means weever. pronounced "luyu"
调料 means fixing and dressing. pronounced "tiaoliao"

23297 糖醋调料
a kind of dressing with sugar and vinegar
糖 means sugar. pronounced "tang"
醋 means vinega. pronounced "cu"

23298 咸蛋黄料
pickled yolk
咸蛋黄 means pickled yolk. pronounced "xiandanhuang"

It appears that 'weever' is a kind of fish? If my translation program is right, it's what we'd call a "perch" in English.

I must admit, I never thought that it might mean that the finished, cooked food was fluffy, like a squirrel's tail. To me, it sounded like they had cooked an animal which looked like a squirrel. ;-)

brianleahy said:
It appears that 'weever' is a kind of fish? If my translation program is right, it's what we'd call a "perch" in English.

I must admit, I never thought that it might mean that the finished, cooked food was fluffy, like a squirrel's tail. To me, it sounded like they had cooked an animal which looked like a squirrel. ;-)

yes, I think weever is perch.

ha~ha~, a chinese doesn't eat a squirrel.

Back