chronic network problems....

Javintosh

Meember
Even since updating to jaguar, I've had the most irritating mail problem....

At first I thought it was my ISP since my upgrate happened at exactly the same time that my ISP's email servers took a nosedive (permanently damaging some of my pop account).

Now my ISP has everything squared away, but I still have this chronic problem with mail:
After mail has checked my email connection for a while, it will display a message stating that the server refused the password. This message asks me for a new password. If I enter my password (which according to mail just got rejected), mail checks everything will work fine for a while...

more rarely, I've also been getting permission denied error messages when checking mail...

I noticed that these problems coincide with getting connection refused errors from web sites (sometimes several of htem in a row).

anyone having similar problems? anyone have any clue (short of reloading) about how to fix this?

edit: this also coincides with NetFinder (FTP client) giving me error messages when I'm trying to upload/download files or when I'm getting a directory listing...

thanks

I found the answer to my problems...

here's a tip: don't turn on the built-in firewall if you are using a broadband router to share your net connection. :D

PS>On my best day I am *not* a fully qualified moron!

I am getting some similar type problem; also there has been some comments and threads in other forums on this. I have no firewall with my DSL connection, but after a deep sleep the screen comes alive but everything is frozen, including all network connections being refused. Even the sleep and restart prompts don't work, nor does the force quit procedure. A power kill and restart is the only answer, it seems. I have no ideas at the moment except to not put the computer to sleep. This only started with X.2.

Back