Cinema display arrived..

verlorenengel

Geek Stink Breath
So I finally got my cinema display!
http://www.cryotechnica.com/cinema.htm :)
I'm still waiting for the damn mac to arrive, why do apple have so many delays? You think for the price we put up with that they'd have better distribution centers or something.
It's already one week late. :(
Rumour has it it's delayed due to gf4ti stock.

Apple delivery sucks, but the products rule. I had late delivery with the iPod and I'm waiting for the new iMac now...should be here yesterday

Delivery sure does suck when you've got demand that's skyrocketing through the atmosphere of Earth (as opposed to skyrocketing through the roof). ;)

Yeah, when Apple gives something good, us Mac-fans just GOTTA have it, try to do THAT with a Dell...

Yeah the worst thing is I'm really hanging for the machine so I can get some work done.

I'm borrowing my sisters dual 500 at the moment and it's all good but it doesn't feel "mine" and OfficeX is expired (technical beta), no Photoshop7 betas either. Eeek! Can't use classic :)

But I'm still holding an excuse that I can't get work done until I have my new machine. :p

Originally posted by verlorenengel
So I finally got my cinema display!
http://www.cryotechnica.com/cinema.htm :)
I'm still waiting for the damn mac to arrive, why do apple have so many delays? You think for the price we put up with that they'd have better distribution centers or something.
Rumour has it it's delayed due to gf4ti stock.

Welcome to the Cinema Display club! :D

Apple ships stuff now? I thought they'd use another company like FedEx to slow down ship times and somehow have that reflect on Apple. Good to see they're taking matters into their own hands. :rolleyes:

I bought mine through ClubMac almost a year ago. Both the Apple Studio Display (CRT version) and the Mac came at the same time.

Actually had to pick it up since I missed the delivery truck (no way I was waiting for next delivery day - long weekend!).

Trying to figure how to put the display into the car while still in the box was challenging - had to take it out of the box! Wasn't happy about it since I wanted to experience the whole "new Mac smell" at home! :D

In a way I long for a flat panel 22" (?) Cinema Display... but the price makes me happy that I have this one! :D

(I just need to get the blasted connector fixed! I keep getting yellow if the cable moves)

I also bit the bullet a month ago. Couldn't resist the "Screen Saver" rebate with the DP. I went to an Apple store to be sure it was the right decision and I kept trying to talk my self out of it, cuz it really wasn't pragmatic. I had finally settled on just getting an iPod to make me happy as I was driving to the store.

And then I saw it. In person.

Whoah.

No picture can do that beauty justice. It is stunning, gorgeous and an absolute joy to use. It's got more pixels than my old two monitor setup and is cleaner to work with (can you say full wide single span Final Cut Pro timeline?).

I can also say I'm more productive with it. OK, maybe not productive enough to justify the cost, but I"d say 10-15% more efficient just because I no longer have to close and move windows around to see stuff. Hey, anything to justify the purchase, right?

After one week, the first dead pixels showed up. I spent an entire Sunday fuming over it. I mean, when you drop that kind of cash (or credit in my case), even one dead pixel is like a dagger in the gut. After that Sunday though, I haven't seen it since. It's still there, I just don't notice it. There are so many freaking pixels on that thing and the dead ones are so small, it's really not as big a deal as I thought it was. Once you let yourself forget about them and focus on work and looking at art, text, menus, scrollbars, etc. the pixels disappear. Hey, if trinitron users can tolerate those hideous two lines, I can survive three or four dead micro-pixels.

It even plays games well. It's got a bit of blur to it, but not too bad. I'd still prefer gaming on a CRT in some cases like for fast motion shooters, but Giants looks fabulous and plays well on the DP.

In short, for anyone else looking to get one. Do it. It might sting for a while, but you will LOVE every minute of using it.

mindbend, stop - you're making me jealouse! :D

I think I had the "dead pixel" syndrome (on a CRT?) for the first couple of days (weeks?) but never really bothred me since it would change location... then it was finally gone. Maybe it just needs to be "burned in"? But I'm talking about a CRT, I never seen it on the LCD versions.

Man... see what you went and did? I want one! :p

That won't happen until I get a steady job (danged economy!), for now I'm just trying to get a 2nd video card in my Mac so I can use my 19" PC's CRT alongside my Studio Display... Boy... talk about desktop realestate! :(

Ok... now I see what all the fuz about LCD displays is all about...
<sigh>

Originally posted by verlorenengel

Hello!

That is why I usually always buy any products through a third party catalog reseller. MacMall or MacZone have been the fastest in my cases. I ordered my 733 Mhz from MacMall using regular ground shipping and it got to me in less then 48 hours! Once I used MacZone and got it overnight when I only ordered ground.

However, I am assuming you are getting one of the newer 800/933/1000Mhz models so you may expect a little delay from places like them. Speaking of delays, my version of Adobe GoLive 5 is not working any more with OS X or OS 9. I really need this program to get my work done so I went ahead and decided to order the 6.0 upgrade. I was up for 2 hours calling every catalog I could get my hands on, every one of them had over 150 backorders and ETA for my order would be over a month :eek: Finally, I was able to call MacWarehouse and it is due sometime tommorrow, actually now that I look at the clock it is due here sometime today.

What I would do if I were you is any future product orders you make, call the resellers first and look at their ETA and then call Apple and ask them when they can ensure delivery.

Have a great day!

Albert

I love my 17" Apple flat display, but there was not way I could afford the Cinema... I'm even kind of afraid that my cat will knock my 17" over...

After 44 days of waiting for Apple to ship me my Formac Studio, I finally bought it a MacMall...

It is kind of funny seeing VisualStudio on the shelf behind the Cinema...

*g*, well I was once a former pc user ;)
I can't stand the things now... It's funny, the only reason I bought my original mac (dual 500) a year ago was that I was sick and tired, bored infact, of every operating system on the intel. I'd tried everything from BeOS to QNX, so I decided I'd buy a "mac" and learn to conquer it.
During the wait to get the machine shipped (which was a month mind you) I learned of Mac OSX and I couldn't help but cream my pants... I love BSD and to learn that OSX was BSD+PrettyGUI I was stoked.. The wait from december->march to get the thing was a killer though ;)

Ive had to use my old WinXP box whilst waiting for my new dual 1.0 machine to arrive as I sold the dual 500, and it's been hell.
Like a virus entering a body, my body rejects Windows. It refuses to let it in... :)

Verl,

Welcome to the cult! We pride ourselves on our fanaticism, rational or otherwise. I figure if we can get the Unix people on our side (like you), we can son take over the world.

;)

Originally posted by mindbend
...I figure if we can get the Unix people on our side (like you), we can son take over the world...
the problem is Unix people rarely pick ONE side. If they did, they would have taken over the world a while ago... (They've had almost 40 years...)

Back