Cisco VPN Client

Paul C

Registered
I'm trying to use Cisco VPN Client (4.0.1) to connect to our Windows 2k network at work via my ADSL internet connection, on the Windows version there is a section where you specify your 'dial up connection' to use to connect your VPN.

Anyone know how to do this with the OSX version, as I'm on call this weekend and don't feel like driving into work if I get called out

Hell, I'd be glad just to get a copy of the Cisco VPN client for Macintosh. We use Cisco vpn, and I have to do after-hours support of unix systems. So far, I have to use a crappy Wintel box they've loaned me.

Paul C said:
I'm trying to use Cisco VPN Client (4.0.1) to connect to our Windows 2k network at work via my ADSL internet connection, on the Windows version there is a section where you specify your 'dial up connection' to use to connect your VPN.

Anyone know how to do this with the OSX version, as I'm on call this weekend and don't feel like driving into work if I get called out

I had trouble getting it to work under Panther. Our network people tried to no avail. For the heck of it I tried the OSX vpn client and it works well. I get to all my unix boxes over my cable modem through the vpn and it is great. I gave the vpn server id, userid , password seconds later I was conncected. I am on my PC at work(Ugh) so I can't tell you which one worked they give you two modes to pick from one starts with P and the other LPT or something I think for me it was the LPT

calliex.

We had similar issues with our VPN. Turns out we had to delete the port number for UDP (port 10000) and enter it again. Also make sure your firewall has the correct port open. The VPN client also has a setting to connect via TCP. Sometimes that will work if UDP doesn't work properly. Now that we have everything configured properly I can connect via my cable modem... i LOVE not having to drive in to the office in the middle of the night!

Bryan

Right now I am using Ciscos VPN Client - Version 4.0.1 as well. But I had to adjust something that I can't remember anymore. Will be back with the info soon...

Doesn't the sysadmin of the Cisco box have access to Cisco downloads? He/she should be able to get you the latest client (4.0.3 IIRC) which works fine for me.

If you are connecting to a standard Windows PPTP/LTP based VPN, the built-in VPN client on Panther works just as well.

Cheers.

brianleahy said:
Hell, I'd be glad just to get a copy of the Cisco VPN client for Macintosh. We use Cisco vpn, and I have to do after-hours support of unix systems. So far, I have to use a crappy Wintel box they've loaned me.

I know what it is, don't laugh!

I was told that the username that was setup was in uppercase but it turns out that is was lowercase. lol, I could go mad :mad:

Doesn't the sysadmin of the Cisco box have access to Cisco downloads? He/she should be able to get you the latest client (4.0.3 IIRC) which works fine for me

Yes, he could -- but he'd never agree to it. It's because (ironically) they're very concerned (some would say 'paranoid') about network security here. They have very strict policy about how the client machines have to be configured before VPN is permitted -- and naturally they have only come up with wintel specification.

I say ironically, because of course an off-the-shelf Mac is already more secure than any Wintel box with the 3rd-party firewall ("Black Ice") that they're requiring. Their big concern seems to be that, once my VPN is connected, someone will hack MY machine and thus gain access to the corporate LAN.

Back