Clamshell Ibook Battery Problem

Belkorin

Registered
I replaced the battery in my old clamshell iBook (running OS 10.2.8 if it makes any difference) after dealing with it's slow decline to holding no charge at all about a month ago. The new battery (3rd party battery) worked wonderfully, except that after the first time I ran it down, it only charged to 6% according to the OS, but it thought it was going to run for about 6 hours on that charge, which it did. I figured, ok, the power manager is confused and i'll just run it down and reset the power manager. But, here's where the problems start. Now it won't charge more than about a minute worth of charge(sometimes it sleeps, sometimes it just shuts down), and the time remaining is perpetually "calculating". I've tried all the basic things, reseting the power manager, going into the open firmware and reseting the nvram and all, I even tried to use apple's battery update thing, but it says that my system doesn't require this software. I'm pretty sure it's not the charging circuits in the computer that are the problem, because the old one was truly dead (5 years old, and I tested the cells inside). One unusual thing that i noticed is that the ring around the power adapter plug stays green until the computer is shut down or goes to sleep, then it turns orange. I'm using a third party power adapter, because i went through three of the "yo-yo" style apple ones. Could the power adapter be the problem? Any other ideas?

I too just replaced my clamshell ibook 466 battery. I purchased mine from Small Dog and it is the Apple battery not a third party. I have the yo-yo power charger. My previous battery (original) was only holding a charge for about 10 min when I bought this new one. I am having he same problem, the ring stays orange and it says that it is charged to only 86%. It will not charge past thay point. When I first got it it was fine and I actually let it run out all the way. (I had read this was a good thing to do one time) Since then it has not been charging all the way. The most annoying thing is that it will not warn you when it is going to run out like it used to. I was on a plane trip this last week and it did that to me.

Back