Classic 9 Won't Open??

Donne Trav

Registered
I am currently running Mac OSX on my G4. For some reason my classic 9 won't run any more. I can't open any programs that run on classic 9. I tried to reinstall classic 9 from the installation disk and that won't run either. Anything that has to do with classic 9 won't run.

Thankyou, ED

I am currently running Mac OSX on my G4. For some reason my classic 9 won't run any more. I can't open any programs that run on classic 9. I tried to reinstall classic 9 from the installation disk and that won't run either. Anything that has to do with classic 9 won't run.

Thankyou, ED
Don't you think that it might be just a bit helpful to give just a hint about what might have caused Classic to stop working? Or are you looking for a psychic to diagnose your problem?

Why not answer his question?

Further, why not avail yourself of:

a19bbc0c.jpg

and thereby help us to help you.

--J.D.

Have you checked in System Preferences-->Classic to see if it sees an OS 9 system folder?

I have no idea what caused this problem. I changed machines (from G3 to G4 & finally the Mirrored Door G4) a few years ago. When trying to open game Cd's as before, I kept
getting the Classic 9 message. It appears that I'm not the only one with this problem.

I have no idea what caused this problem.

We are getting warmer . . . or is it that huge ball of fire pois'd above me?

The "Classic" in OS X did not always run programs that required OS 9. Strange, I know, but there you go. A Guru can explain why. For that reason, back when I own'd the Widdle Pismo, partitioned the HD to have an OS 9 and an OS X System. The few programs that I had--like an older Photoshop--would only run when booted up on OS 9.

Once you get to Intel . . . forget it. No OS 9 support.

There may be a simple "fix" to your problem, but it depends on your machine specifics:

PostThis.jpg

Post that information. Then do "Get Info" on the program in question:

Permission.jpg

and post that information. That should help the Gurus sort things out. You may very well need an actual OS 9--as in installation disk--if you do not have the actual OS 9.

--J.D.

I have no idea what caused this problem. I changed machines (from G3 to G4 & finally the Mirrored Door G4) a few years ago. When trying to open game Cd's as before, I kept
getting the Classic 9 message. It appears that I'm not the only one with this problem.

That's all well and good, but did you go to where I mentioned to see if there was any Classic system folder shown in there? If not, then you might need to point it to where it used to be, assuming it was always there. The Classic system folder would usually be in Macintosh HD as "System Folder" (not to be confused with the folder called "System" which is for OS X).

If you see the folder called "System Folder" inside the Macintosh HD, then point the Classic pane in System Preferences to that location and then you should be able to have it working again.

Again, this is all assuming that you DID have Classic installed on this G4 Mac.

nixgeek makes a very good point: I was assuming you only had the "Classic" loaded and not bootable OS 9. You can have it on the same partition as OS X, but I prefer to avoid the "mess." Anyways, if you do not even have "Classic" loaded . . . well . . . there you go! This is why this information is necessary to sort out what is going on.

--J.D.

Well there is a solution. Get an external hard drive if you do not already own one. Backup all your files via a third party app like Mac Backup.
Do a clean install and under customize check "install Mac OS 9" drivers. That should help when you go to install Mac OS 9 and games for it. Mac OS X Leopard does not include this Orion so you should use Tiger or Panther.

Back