"Classic 9" Won't Start Up Under 10.1.4

sethif

Registered
I have tried to begin Classic under 10.1.4 and it begins but the status bar stops about 4/5 of the way through, and just remains there. This seems to be causing other applications to crash as well, or become static. This is becoming an issue for me because I still use Classic Applicaitons and would rather not boot up in OS 9. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. I am beginning to become worried.

First make sure you have 9.2.2 installed. It works best with 10.1.4, and versions earlier than 9.2.1 won't work at all.

Next, make sure you have minimal extensions enabled. You can have Extensions Manager open when starting Classic using the Advanced tab in the Classic control panel.

One thing you can do to troubleshoot Classic is to delete the following files from your Classic System Folder (Mac OS X will replace them for you):

Classic
Classic Support
Classic Support UI
ProxyApp

Sorry for my ignorance, I am new to this, but how do I have "Minimal Extensions Enabled"? I can't seen to find this option in my System Preferences for Classic. Thanks again for your time.

Extensions are the items that load at startup when you boot 9 or Classic - the icons that line up on the bottom of the screen. To "enable minimal extensions" is to use a utility such as Extensions Manager to disable all but a few useful ones, such as Open Transport and QuickTime.

The Classic preference panel has an "Advanced" tab with options to start Classic with extensions disabled or to automatically open Extensions Manager before extensions begin to load. If Classic starts up successfully with extensions disabled it's extremely likely that one or more extensions are the cause of your Classic woes.

Back