classic and os 9

Qfxz

Registered
Apple recently replaced the HD on my G5 iMac and loaded 10.4.6 on it. I do not have classic or os 9 on the drive. I went to the install disk ( DVD 2) for os9 and get the message after clicking 'install mac os 9 system support': "You cannot continue. There is nothing to install."
The 'pkg' shows up as an alias (?) on the install disk.
I have the 10.3 install disk (and 10.2), and have had no luck installing from these. I need the OS 9 system support folder installed first to install classic, right?
I have an older iMac G3 front slot load that I need to erase and then install 10.3. Once this is done can I disk target mode it to the G5 and get classic environment that way on the G5?
For whatever reason, firmware updates are in the OS 9/classic environment.
I need it for some Nikon camera software as well.
Any help is surely appreciated.

John

John, I dunno about your install discs, but on my G4, Restore Disc 1 has
an invisible folder. You can use the TinkerTool freebie to "view hidden"
files. In Disk 1 is a .images folder, within which is OS9General. Drag it
to your HD. Voila! Classic is installed.

albloom said:
John, I dunno about your install discs, but on my G4, Restore Disc 1 hasan invisible folder. You can use the TinkerTool freebie to "view hidden"files. In Disk 1 is a .images folder, within which is OS9General. Drag it to your HD. Voila! Classic is installed.
I don't know about your G4. For the vast majority of PPC-based Macs, Classic can be installed without resorting to a third-party utility.

Back