Classic Apps not seeing shared files

Gurnox

Registered
I have a Linux server running Netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-42. The shared drives can be seen without a problem by all Macs not running OS X. However, on the OS X (10.1.5) machine there is a really crazy problem.

Although all of the files on the shared drive can be seen from the desktop, if you try and read them from a Classic application none of the files can be seen.

This is driving me plain crazy. It is not a consistent problem either. I have two shares, one works fine in apps, the other doesn't. Both shares have an identical configuration.

Also can anybody tell me how to automount an Appletalk share at bootup?

OS X uses a different way in sharing. What you need to do is on the OS X machine, put everything that you want to share in the Public Folder. You can do this with App's by placing an alias in the Public Folder. No one can see any other files unless they are in the Public folder.

Once you have this set up, then you will be able to access files on the OS X machines.

Thanks Cheryll. However, it's reading files from a Linux share that is giving me the trouble. What you've said is certainly worth knowing though for the future.

I've since found out that a new version of Netatalk may solve my sharing issues.

I must admit I'm a bit disillusioned with the claim that you can share files via NFS and SMB. Fine for OS X but what about those who don't want to ditch all their classic apps? Come on Apple, sort it out!

Back