Classic crashes every 2 minutes

Gedankenspiel

Registered
I am running 10.1.2 and OS 9.2.2 on my 733 G4. My problem is that classic crashes all the time and I have to restart it in order to proceed work in any application. This happens a lot with Entourage and 100% of the time with Flash 5.

I stripped down the 9.2.2 system folder and removed anything I don't need. No Energy control panel, no Norton, bare bones.

I am, however using Suitcase 10.1 which I have found to be buggy at times.

Anyone with ideas?

Kai

welcome to macosx.com!!

one thing people tend to forget is that classic apps still have set memory allocations. most times it is just a matter of increasing the memory allocation for a particular program just like we have always done. keep in mind that classic, unlike os 9, does not make use of virtual memory.

not sure if this will solve your problem, but it is a good place to start.:)

I had some problems with running Entourage in classic mode. I've never had any problems running Flash in that mode.

In addition to Ed's suggestion of memory (which is a great place to start) I'd also recommend:

-Switching to osx version of Entorage.
-Looking over your disabled extensions and control panels. You may have killed to much. There was a great article on this site about streamlining os9, if you can't find it let me konw, I have it saved somewhere and I'll email it to you.

That's it for now... how about some more symtoms? When does your system crash, what are you doing when it does? Try force quitting the offending app, does it take all of OS9 down with it when you do so? How many os9 apps are you running at once?

What are you doing in Flash? anything I'd like to see?

Okay those last two questions you don't have to answer.

Thanks for the helpful tips and the quick reply. I tried allocating more memory to either application which didn't seem to make a difference.

Some more symptoms:
- About 70% of the times when the computer crashes I just suddenly realize that classic is restarting. No warning in either classic application, just a reboot of Classic 9.2.2.

- Photoshop seems to have been affected but this as well (6.01). In the middle of working with it it closes completely and I see Classic rebooting again.

- The spinning ball drives me nuts. If it's not classic that drives me nuts its the spinning ball. I know there are entire threads about the beach ball so I will check up on that.

Am I doomed and have to reinstall OSX and 9.2.2? Here is what I had to do last time with the discs I have:

1. Install a clean version of 9.1
2. Update to 9.2.1
3. Update to 9.2.2
4. Install OS 10.0
5. Update to 10.1
6. Download and update to 10.1.2

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!

Kai

How much memory do you have on your system? G4's should have no problem with the OSs, obviously, but if you're having problems with OSX and OS9 (os 9 crashes and you get the beachball in osx) it could be a from a lack of memory. OSX loves to eat up memory.

Pretty high I'd have to say.. Do you have a ram tester? TechTool Pro tests ram, I know there are only os9 versions of that out now...but there has to be some more appz to check ram.

I'd eliminate that variable first. Ram is'nt the end all trouble creator but it's a great starting pooint.

you're not going to like this suggestion much either but the next thing i would do is reboot into 9.2.2 and see what is going on in the native environment. you may still be getting some extension conflicts or have some corrupt files. running a few good diagnostic and repair programs while there might be time well spent. start with disk first aid and work your way up to third party apps. techtool pro was just updated today so if you are using it get this first. i would also recomend getting techtool lite (also updated today) and using it to zap your pram and rebuild your os 9 desktop while in 9.2.2

if everything works fine in os 9, then you need tostart looking for those files in osx that control how classic interacts.

Back