Classic does not start

TCS_Luke

Registered
Every time a user with out admin privliges attempts to start up a classic application the following message is displayed:

"The operation could not complete because you do not have enough access privileges"

Computers are running Mac OS 10.2.2, our server is running Mac OS X Server (Don't know the version #), Classic is enabled in the Workgroup Manager for users. The Classic version on our computers is 9.2 (Its 9 point something). We are able to get classic to start up on login fine - but this still does not allow Classic apps to run, the boxes fly across the screen like a app has been opened and then nothing. But if we have the startup on classic option turned off in the Workgroup Manager then we recived the message above.

Within workgroup manager we have two user groups one for staff and one for students. While staff and students are located within the Students group in the future we will move staff to their associated group.

If you could help it would be much appreciated, since we are attempting to run educational programs on our school network for secondary and primary students, with no success.

Thanks in advanced.

Luke
Trangie Central School - NSW, Australia

I bet you need to give priviliges for each program and application, not just for classic.

Thanks for the response! Could you tell me what priviliges and how you go about changing them (either through the terminal or using Get Info).

Tah
Luke

Through the admin, you need to make sure each user has read and write privileges.
Under the show info (In os X) for each application you want to let people use you must also allow read & write.

Make sure File sharing is on in OS 9. And allow everyone to read & write. This will mean to boot in OS 9. Turn on file sharing and do the set up.

I have the same problem! I updated from 10.1.5 to 10.2.3 yesterday, now Classic won't llaunch (same error). Never had any trouble before. I can boot into 9.2.2 just fine, have checked Software Update and have re-run the 9.2.2 installer, all to no avail. I tried moving the 'Classic ...' files from the System Folder. Same error.

I just looked in the console. Does this mean anything to anyone?

Dec 31 18:48:26 John-Kershaws-Computer Classic[578]: AUTOUPDATE ERROR: type and/or creator resource missing for /System/Library/CoreServices/Classic Startup.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/SystemFiles/Classic

Possibly unrelated, but I'm also getting twenty copies of this:

Stream closed
: Undefined error: 0'

entered into the console log once per second!

Back