Classic doesn't quit

macdaddy42

Registered
Hey all. I've been using OS X Beta for a couple days now, and I've noticed only one thing that is a major problem: I can't seem to make Classic shut down. I tell it to shut down/restart/etc., but TruBlueEnvironme and Classic stay open. This becomes a really big problem because TruBlueEnvironme takes up at least 30% of my processor all the time. Sometimes logging out fixes the problem, and the same goes for force quitting, but if there's a cleaner way to quit Classic I'm all ears. Thanks.

Originally posted by macdaddy42
Hey all. I've been using OS X Beta for a couple days now, and I've noticed only one thing that is a major problem: I can't seem to make Classic shut down. I tell it to shut down/restart/etc., but TruBlueEnvironme and Classic stay open. This becomes a really big problem because TruBlueEnvironme takes up at least 30% of my processor all the time. Sometimes logging out fixes the problem, and the same goes for force quitting, but if there's a cleaner way to quit Classic I'm all ears. Thanks.

Since I have not received my copy of os x PB yet, I do not know if this will work or not, so I'll try to answer your question with a question. Does the PB come with the ProcessViewer.app?
I was having the same problem with classic locking up in dp3. To quit an application in dp3 you could launch the ProcessViewer.app, double click on TruBlueEnvironme and choose quit. You can apply this to any application that gets "stuck".
I hope this helps with your problem. If not, please let me know.

I did try that, and while it did free up some of the processor it still caused my computer to hang on at least one occasion. It looks like my actual problem was with an extension or control panel that was installed on my OS 9 System Folder. I set it to use the default 9.0.4 set and so far Classic has quit twice with no problems.

I cannot imagine Classic and TruBlue using 30% of your processor when it is in the background idle. If you open the app CPU Monitor in GrabBag (in the applications folder) then hit command-T, it will open your terminal and run the "Top" command. This will tell you exactly how much processing power is being utilized by each app. My PowerMac G4 500 shows ~3%...

Back