classic fials to run in OS X

pedski1

Registered
Hi!

I have been using OS 10.1.1 and running classic 9.2 without problems, until about 2 days ago. Then after updating to 9.2.? for the "enhanced performance" I couldn't get classic to run unless all the extensions where off. It even failed with just the mac base extensions only.

I reinstalled classic 9.2 off the CD after deleting the old system folder with the same results. The freeze occurs after the first extension loads, and is an "address error". I have checked both disks for errors via norton and found none. I really need to print from classic, without having to reboot.

Any help would be appreciated!!

pedski1

first, have you tried running any up to date diagnostic and repair programs or the single user mode startup and fsck command found in many other threads here? have you zapped your pram and rebuilt your desktop? whenis the last time you defragmented and optimized your hd?

one other question - does your current 9 boot ok on it's own?

also please post your mac-chine specs and other hardware you are using. it's not an entirely uncommon problem, but it might help to give more to go on and history of what you've tried.:(

Yep - Classic runs fine when I boot into it, even with all the extensions on. That has been the biggest puzzler for me, and yes I have tried the fsck -y thing under single user without any change. No I have not defragmented my drive recently, but I have used norton for extended mac file system, and apple disk tools - both of which say everything is fine.

As far as my system goes, I have: iomeg USB zip 100, AGFA snapscan, entrega 7 port USB hub, palm USB sync cradle, and via voice headset. I have recently installed toast for OSX and via voice in OSX.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Pedski1

well, i agree this is a real puzzler. and given the day it is - release of 10.1.2 thru software update, its a toss up of whether to update and see if this is something apple has cured or to hold off because there's the chance of not properly updating. if it were me i would update and see if anything changes.

but if you continue to work - my first guess would be that problem is with x and not 9 since 9 works fine on its on. I use toast for osx with no problems so it's probably not a culprit. the via voice would be my first thing to try and rule out. I have the cheap via voice and it has never worked quite right. i wonder if it doesn't violate somelaw of nature to run ibm software ona mac!! i know one of the things the osx update claims to do is improve speech recognition.

if none of this works, i would next try to defrag and optimize. i've cured a lot of wierd search type problems with this over the years. probably a good thing to do every so often anyway -always adds speed back.

good luck !!!

I have a Tower with Mac OS X 10.1.2 and Classic 9.2.2 (just upgraded) and have a very similar problem: classic loads all the way through the Icon Screen, clears, and then stops dead in its tracks. It's as if it wants to complete the boot sequence but is waiting for something.

having classic boot with extensions off DOES NOT make a difference.

It just started a week or two ago and upgrading to 9.2.2 didn't make a difference. also getting a weird error when booting into 9: it's looking for filesharinglib -- wasn't that eliminated a while back? none of my other machines have it and they don't complain.

1st i would check your startup items folder. i know i have this problem when some program puts that dam kodak color sync in there. even if you want to use it, there is no good reason to have it on all the time. second, every other time this starts happening, i do a repair with diskwarrior and it always fixes something and then i am ok for a while. i was also getting it with my new acom exteranl fw hd. plugging drive in or turning it on after boot cures that while i wait to hear back from their tech support on what else i need to do.

just a few suggestions to start. any more specifics about what you are running would help. btw - how is your boot back to osx?

Back