Classic History

ghyde

CCNA, CCDA
I'm setting up my new Ti and have a pertinate question. It's set up with 10.2 and Classic. What is the easiest, quickets way to remove all of Classic from the system (trying to avoide having to reinstall)?

You can assume I have admin rights.

Thanks for your speedy replies.

drag your os 9 system folder to the trash and empty it (without classic running of course.) i think you might have to go deselect something from your classic prefs or remove the pref pane but that's it. all of os 9 is stored in the one folder.

Boy, That's SPEEDY.

Anyway, since classic runs in emulation, can I assume that the forementioned instructions will reclaim hard drive space?

i don't think you'll get anything but the actual space it sits on. for me that would be 435 mb and i figure mine is rather large as i have plenty of os 9 extensions in there. it's possible you'll get some virtual memory space back but i doubt it. i think that space is only used when it's running natively.

The aforementioned instructions will definitely reclaim hard drive space. Your Classic folder (i.e. the System Folder) takes up physical (well, sort of physical) space on your drive as does any collection of files and removing it will give you back hard disk space. It may speed up your computer a little if you don't have to boot into Classic (definite speed boost) or run Classic support pieces of your system (minor speed boost).

Also, be sure to toss the Desktop Folder at the root of your hard drive, and if you feel you can search your drive and remove any applications that don't open without booting Classic (mostly in the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder, I bet).

Originally posted by edX for me that would be 435 mb and i figure mine is rather large as i have plenty of os 9 extensions in there.
Rather large you say? NOT QUITE! Hehehe! :p

Attachments

• sys.jpg
    sys.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 23
Yeah, stuff tends to grow like that. The System Folder on our G3 is about that size.

What theme is that you're using?

Not a theme, a Kaleidoscope scheme called Mekong, built by Arlo Rose, co-creator of Kal... :) And yeah, with all the extension (251)/control panels (47) and add-ons of all kinds I have, it's quite normal that it's huge like this! hehehe!

I just moved my "Classic.prefspane" from my System/Library's PreferencePanes folder to a Disabled folder and now it won't show up in Preferences. Can I safely remove the file "Classic Startup" from /System/Library/CoreServices too?

I haven't used Classic in ages and would really like to remove every trace even if it doesn't harm the system being there. Just curious.

And how about the other "Finder"? That way when I double-click a Classic App it will say "No application to open this document with" rather than trying to boot a system not there.

Or will OS X freak out if these files aren't in the directories they live in?

Back up your current OS X system and try it. OS X won't care if it has Classic or not; all that matters is that you can't use Classic applications.

Ehh...not sure about the "fake" Finder & System files in /System/Library/CoreServices. (Really, they're fake...Get Info on 'em ;)).

The system may actually use those to boot OS X. Or maybe they're just there so that OS 9 knows that that's the System Folder. Or so that Startup Disk knows there's a valid system. Ya never know. Not sure on any of that, of course, but don't go blaming anyone if you move one of 'em and OS X won't boot. :p

Back