Classic Hole

Arden

Where mah "any" keys at?
Help! I have a hole in my Classic environment!

When I try to run a Classic application, a large blank white rectangle stays on screen and I can't use the program effectively. This occurs for any application running in Classic mode, and I can't figure out why it occurred. It started after working with a file in Word 98, and the same file seems to have put a bug on two other computers causing a message saying "Word could not fire event" when a document closes.

Also, I moved my iMac DV into the other room to go online, and as soon as I plugged in the Ethernet cable, system 9 freezes while booting. After the desktop pattern appears but before any icons appear, the cursor turns into a spinning beachball and freezes in place. After a while, it turns into a bomb. It does this every time now, whether the Ethernet cable is plugged in or not. I would like to be able to run 9 applications because most of what I do runs better in OS 9 than in 10 or Classic. (I can't play Starcraft!)

As it happens, the Ethernet issue was resolved as soon as I booted OS 9 without a network cable plugged in. The first extension to pop up was the Ethernet extension, leading me to suspect a bad Ethernet driver under 9. Any suggestions?

While in OS 9With the ethernet cable unplugged, go to the system folder>Preferences. Locate the following files and drag them to the trash:
AppleTalk Preferences
Finder Preferences
MacOS Preferences
Now restart the computer and immediately hold down the option and the apple (command) keys until you get a dialog box asking if you wish to do a desktop rebuild. This will come up after the extensions load at the bottom of your screen. Release the keys and click on the opkay button. When it is done, empty the trash, then plug in the ethernet cable. Make sure you have AppleTalk and TCP/IP set correctly.

Bumped, in case anyone has any ideas.

The Ethernet issue became a non-issue a long time ago, but the hole in my Classic environment is still there, which is why I'm bumping this.

When was the last time you rebuild Classic desktop?

In OS X System Preferences>classic click on the advanced tab.
Click on rebuild desktop.

If that doesn't do it, open the OS 9 system folder>Preferences. Trash Mac OS Pref, General Pref, Finder Pref and system Pref.
Start up classic, then empty the trash.

I've tried all that, and I've tried all sorts of stuff like zapping the PRAM, fixing the hard drive, etc. I have no idea where this problem stems from, but I don't think it's in any of the preference files that you mentioned.

Did you get a Hardware CD with the machine? Run that.

Did you run a third party disk utility?

Originally posted by arden
I have no idea where this problem stems from, but I don't think it's in any of the preference files that you mentioned.

The preference files could be corrupt and causing the problem. Also trash the Monitor pref file. Restart the computer, then empty the trash.
It won't hurt to try it.

I don't know, I haven't seen that for ages. Just for grins, I'll take Cheryl's suggestions and report back.

Arden,

What's the scoop?
I have been pondering your problem and came up with a question.
What extensions/control panels do you have active and disabled?

I'm not sure, that's something I hadn't thought of.

And every time I say I'm going to check it, I forget to, so I still haven't done any of that. I'm not sure when I'll be able to, as I'm going to a concert tomorrow... well, later today, after I get a few hours of shuteye.

But I'll try setting it to boot with only Apple Base extensions, and see where it goes from there, though I have a sneaking suspicion that it will do nothing.

Here's another thought, Arden. Go and remove all the stuff Classic installed in the OS 9 Extensions/Control Panels folders.

You can check which ones those are with Extension Manager, they'll come up with Classic Compatibility Environment right under the name in the extended view. (Also, it's pretty easy to just disable them from Extension Manager).

Then, next time you start up Classic, it'll ask to install all of those again. That might fix your problem.

Back