Classic in Tiger

Jo

Registered
Hi, I am new here (so am hoping I am posting this thread in the right section - forgive me if not).

I have recently upgraded my system to MAC OSX Tiger. Most of my applications work fine in this system - however I have one application that requires Classic for it to be able to be installed.

When trying to open this installer I get the following message..

"Classic cannot find a MAC OS 9 system folder on the startup disc to use. You may need to install MacOS9.1 or later (classic support) on your computer.
To select a system folder on another volume, click open classic preferences."

When looking in system preferences & the startup disc all I have is "MacOSX 10.4 on hardrive" & another icon for "Network Startup".

Looking in the system preferences under the "9 classic" icon it says "classic is not running"..

Any ideas on what I need to do? - do I have to install OS Classic from the Tiger DVD disc somehow as a 'custom install'? - or do I do that from the discs I had when I brought the computer a few years ago? :S please help - I desperatley need to get this application installed & running..

I appreciate any help & thanks for your time..

Jo.

Tiger doesn't come with the Classic environment, also it is no longer supported by Apple.

I also do not know of a way to install Classic in Tiger.

I see in the system perferences that Classic Enivrionment is there and looks to be supported. Not sure if your mac came with Mac Os 9.2 installer cds. Because if you have those then you pop those cds in install the classic environment, then vilo! You should be able to ran that app from os9 or whenever in Tiger just fine.

I know that with Panther there was another CD that would install the Classic environment. It's possible that this is also the case with Tiger, but I am not sure.

Thanks for all your help.. I was thinking if I installed mac OS9 from the original discs I got with my computer would that knock off Tiger? - isnt it a clean install or can I do this as a 'custom installation'?

Just follow the instructions on that page, the Clean install will install OS 9 without harming your OS X system.

HomunQlus said:
Tiger doesn't come with the Classic environment, also it is no longer supported by Apple.

I also do not know of a way to install Classic in Tiger.
Please don't spread this kind of disinformation.

to be fair, i don't think he did it maliciously, tiger doesn't ship with classic, and not many people now actually have a system 9 disc anywhere near.... so, in truth, apple have stopped supporting it - the feature is still there, but you've got to instigate it now. i just hapened to still have my panther boot cloned on my ipod, so i just copied the classic system folder across.

Lt Major Burns said:
to be fair, i don't think he did it maliciously, tiger doesn't ship with classic, and not many people now actually have a system 9 disc anywhere near.... so, in truth, apple have stopped supporting it - the feature is still there, but you've got to instigate it now. i just hapened to still have my panther boot cloned on my ipod, so i just copied the classic system folder across.
The last time that Apple shipped Classic with MacOS X was with MacOS X 10.1. That does not mean that Apple stopped supporting Classic following the release of MacOS X 10.1. Indeed, there will come a time when Classic is no longer supported, but that is no time soon.

Lt Major Burns said:
i have my 10.3.5 disks from my pmac and that instlls with 9.2 classic ready
That is the System Restore disk for your computer. I was restricting myself to the shrinkwrap retail version of MacOS X 10.x. If you count having Classic on the System Restore disk that ships with your computer as "support," then you destroy your own argument. New Macs, which ship with MacOS X 10.4, also have Classic (MacOS 9.2) on the System Restore disk.

but wait - isn't that the solution to this thread? classic will be on the restore disks that cam with the computer - classic can be installed that way, can't it?

MisterMe said:
Please don't spread this kind of disinformation.

Please inform yourself before accusing me of spreading disinformation. I said: It is not supported by Apple. Tiger itself does support classic. But if you call Apple and tell 'em you have a problem with Classic in Tiger, they won't help you. I tried it.

I could not find the Classic environment on my Tiger DVD.

Lt Major Burns said:
but wait - isn't that the solution to this thread? classic will be on the restore disks that cam with the computer - classic can be installed that way, can't it?
Of course. That's why it's there.

HomunQlus said:

I could not find the Classic environment on my Tiger DVD.
Oh, please. I have already posted the fact that Classic did not ship with the retail versions of MacOS X 10.2, 10.3, or 10.4. This is because MacOS 9.x has not been updated since MacOS X 10.1, which included MacOS 9.2 in the box. It is not because Classic is no longer supported.

Just to sum things up for everyone... :)

- The retail (shrinkwrapped) version of Mac OS X (10.2 and up) doesn't come with Classic.
- Classic is part of the computer, though. It's a package on the Software Installation/Restore CDs/DVD.
- Therefore you can simply install Classic by opening the package file. Just have to locate it on the optical medium.

There's no need to call people names etc. Apparently, Apple's support hotlines have stopped supporting OS 9/Classic. You might run into a supporter that knows about it and helps you, but AFAIK it's no longer part of the job description. ;) ... So: Come to macosx.com instead.

Let's try and be helpful, shall we.

Back