Classic install onto a tiger os?

Stormy_

Registered
How does one install classic 9 onto a mac with tiger on it? Everytime my father goes to try it says opening classic 9 then an error window pops up saying cant find os 9 system folder. But he is using the original disc he bought. He gets this error no matter if hes booted up from the cd or not.
He had to wipe out his drive before and now only has tiger on there.

Any help?

I forgot to mention he has an imac G4

The purchased 'Tiger Installation DVD' does not include, and therefore cannot install, 'System 9.x'.

The iMac G4 (flat panel or 17 inch flat panel) is supplied with a CD from which 'System 9.2.2' can be installed from.

yes, the orginal set of discs that came with the iMac, (not the 10.4 disks) will have the system 9.2 folders on them. you install classic support from these, and then point the classic mode in tiger toward these new folders on your hard disk. classic will now run.

Thank you for responding
I am helping my father over the phone, you wouldnt happen to know the order of those cd's or the name of the one with classic on it? lol

On my disks, the secod one had classic support. See the attached picture, on the upper right side of the disk, it says in small print "Includes mac os 9.2"

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 14
Lt Major Burns said:
and then point the classic mode in tiger toward these new folders on your hard disk. classic will now run.

How would my father do this? Im familiar with macintosh prior to os 9, so with the complete revamp of os im lost lol

My father says that the classic environment folder is there and has been but when he tries to open it, it wants to open classic and it freezes. Before it freezes it says classic is not installed. Now he owns a copy of os 9 cd, can he install classic with that? Any help?

Yes, you can install with the OS 9 CD, then in OS X choose the new folder as the classic folder. First, delete the problem classic system, though.

Back