Classic is nothin' - it's all TruBlueEnvironment

Ghoser777

Registered
Everyone keeps mentioning that if you quit out of classic (specifically, if you kill it) trublueenvironment will still run. In fact, CLassic apps can still run without classic.

The reason is: Classic does nothing really important. If you open up the Classic package, you'll find TruBlueEnvironement in the resources folder. You can double click on it and wait a minute or two while your computer makes moaning sounds. If you look in the dock, you'll see a document image named TruBlueEnvironment. Then you can open up all your favorite classic apps... and no classic running!

All Classic does is show you that OS9 emulation is booting up, showing you the progress bar and what extensions and control panels are being loaded. When loaded, it triggers TrBlueEnvironment which does all the real work. So, if you'd liek to save some memory, just open up TruBlueEnvironement instead of the entire classic package, although I think savings are minimal.

F-bacher

GOnna have to give that a try sometime ;)
If an OS 9 app crashes though, wil lthat just sut down TruBlu, or will it crash my who X system ?>

I'm not sure that I agree with this completely.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think that "Classic" is a rudimentary shell that lauches Mac OS 9 and then performs the actions that a Mac OS 9 Finder would perform (though without putting up any sort of screen display).

To kill the Classic "app" would be akin to quitting the Finder. Even in Mac OS 9 you can still use other apps, but there is some loss in functionality (some apps depend on the Finder's robust AppleEvent support for example).

I have no evidence to support this assertion though.

I just tried it and your right!!! easy to do, and it alomost seems lighter weight?? [may be my imagination]

judge

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
GOnna have to give that a try sometime ;)
If an OS 9 app crashes though, wil lthat just sut down TruBlu, or will it crash my who X system ?>

Nope. TruBlue is like any other app - if it crashes, it doesn't effect the rest of the system.

Originally posted by wmoss
I'm not sure that I agree with this completely.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think that "Classic" is a rudimentary shell that lauches Mac OS 9 and then performs the actions that a Mac OS 9 Finder would perform (though without putting up any sort of screen display).

To kill the Classic "app" would be akin to quitting the Finder. Even in Mac OS 9 you can still use other apps, but there is some loss in functionality (some apps depend on the Finder's robust AppleEvent support for example).

I have no evidence to support this assertion though.

Actually, Classic performs NONE of the actions the MacOS9 Finder performed. Just try booting TruBlue by itslef; u get the same functionality as without Classic. And if you like the finder so much, just double clikc on it in the system folder of OS9. I've heard other people have problems with this, but I only get good results, even on other macs.

F-bacher

it seems to boot a little faster as well, can we get it to run without an icon, or as a service?
judge

Good idea Judge. My biggest problem with classic is the time it takes to startup. If we could get trublu starting up at the same time as say, desktop, then it maybe wouldn't be such a long wait.

I was thinking this:
"Why isn't there an option to make classic a startup item, kinda like how all the stuff loads before the login prompt comes up???"

Any answers, other than the obvious answer "Well not all users might wanna use classic"

There is an option to load it up at login (done in your system prefrences) but if you want it to load up durring start up, you would have to write a startup script. I am a unix newbie, and I'm not realy sure how to do this.....
If people want to make classic/ trublueenvironment load up faster, just disable all extentions except for the ones os x installs the first time you run classic.
Try this out..... tell me what happens! :)

I think the key to making classic load up faster is to disable all unnecessary extensions.
Any extensions like Kaleidoscope (SInce you can't use it in X unless you double clikc
the finder), the Iomega drivers seems useless since OS X handles I/O, and any other
3rd party extensions that you might not need.
I have done this is it loads in under 40 sec... still trying to slim it down by
finding what I dont need ;)
It work in progress lol

Admiral

Back