Classic keeps dying

mcasteel

Registered
Classic keeps going away, apparently on its own, on my system. It's an irritation, but I don't remember seeing other reports of it.

Running OS X 10.1.1 on a PB G4/400. I have a separate partition set up solely for running Classic. I only booted the Mac on this partition twice: once when installing a fresh OS 9.1 on it (back pre-10.1 days), and recently when I did an upgrade to OS 9.2.1 from CD. I did that upgrade in hopes of eliminating the apparent 'instability' in Classic, but to no avail.

I rarely reboot the PB, just close the lid to put it to sleep. I have had numerous occurrences of a little classic notification box appearing to tell me that 'the Finder has unexpectedly quit', after which it apparently comes back. I can tell because I have Stickies as a startup app on the Classic partition, and if I had quit it, it starts again after this notification.

Not quite so often, I find that Classic is simply gone, without a trace. There's no crash log (logging turned on), and usually I don't even notice it's gone until I try to launch Quicken and it begins to launch Classic. Then I notice that the Sticky is gone.

Does anybody recognize this? Could I have something sending 'shutdown' signals to Classic behind my back?

I experience this from time to time, but not so often as to be a real problem. Before osx came out my machine would occasionally crash for no real apparent reason as well. It also would crash for obvious memory reasons and extension conflicts. I assume classic is still acting like it always did without X. Maybe I'm too jaded, but i don't expect this to ever disappear. They haven't made a perfect system that could run every application yet. Rebooting classic is by far easier and seemingly safer than using the restart button. I also assume to fix classic problems you need to go back and use a os9 approach to troubleshooting. run conflict catcher if you have it. you can get a free trial at http://www.casadyg.com/downloads/default.html?PHPSESSID=e12262635673647db682d7854ad57f4d

or just play with your extensions on your own with the extensions manager until you id a conflict. Or perhaps some of your classic programs need more memory. or they use too much memory. (does anyone know how application memory acts in classic? does it remain somewhat static as in 9.2.1 or does the osx manager override and allocate efficiently?) I am still learning osx very slowly but I have been creating and solving problems in previous systems for a long time. Hopefully someone who understands the integration of the new and old systems will speak up and straighten us both out on this.

Back