Classic on 10.3.9

CannonBallGuy

Registered
Hey, I have a new iBook (since feburary) that had 10.3 pre-installed...
I have kept up to date up until 10.4 - which I don't have. I am on 10.3.9.
I just copied over "SimTower" from an older iMac that once had OS 9 on it...

I try to open SimTower on this iBook and get this error:
Classic cannot find a Mac OS 9 System Folder on the startup disk to use.
You may need to install Mac OS 9.1 or later on your computer. To select a system folder on another volume, click Open Classic Preferences.

What can I do?
It says I may need to install 9.1, but, do they mean on top of X?
If not, what other choice do I have? There is another computer running OS 9 in the house and 1 (if not 2) running 10.3 with Classic working...
Any ideas?

(P.S. I'm new... Hi! ::alien::)

Talking to dodginess on the Chat, it seems my iBook came shortly after Apple stopped the dual-bootieness, so I either copy the System folder of my brothers Powerbook (older than this iBook and SimTower works on it, so presumably its dual-boot) or.... what? Can I download the required stuff? or Do I really need to somehow install 9?

First: Not all games can run well using the Classic Environment.
Second: You will not find the full OS 9 version to download. And since your new machine is one of the 'newer' models - you will not be able to start up with the OS 9 CD to install.

You can try copying the System Folder (OS 9) from the old book, to the new book.
Restart it, then check the System Preferences to see if Classic is listed in the preferences. I have done that when a file got corrupt on one machine. I copied OS 9 folder from one to the other. Now it works - Classic that is.

Cheryl said:
First: Not all games can run well using the Classic Environment.
SimTower does - on my brothers powerbook.

Cheryl said:
You can try copying the System Folder (OS 9) from the old book, to the new book.
Restart it, then check the System Preferences to see if Classic is listed in the preferences. I have done that when a file got corrupt on one machine. I copied OS 9 folder from one to the other. Now it works - Classic that is.
And this won't possibly mess anything else up? I'm not sure I want to risk losing a load of stuff...

The only thing you would lose is drive space (what the folder will use). You just need it to use Classic.

Check the hard drive on the new iBook. Does it have a folder with a 9 on the folder icon? Then you have OS 9 installed to use classic. If not, and you want to play the SimTower, you will need to do the copy from another Mac computer that has OS 9 installed.

Hi back, Cannonball.

Apple stopped preinstalling Classic recently, but it is
there on your install/restore disc(s). Insert your
restore disc and select Classic.

Back