Classic Preference Pane Dissappears!

eogold

Registered
After Netscape Communicator 4.78 crashed in Classic on OS 10.2, my Classic Preference Pane in System Preferences is gone. When I open System Preferences now, under "System" there is no "Classic". However, now there is a new category -- "Other" which contains a duplication of the ColorSync preference pane (fully duplicates function of the other ColorSync pane). I've attached a screen shot.

Other notes:

- Classic still runs fine, I just can't alter its preferences.
- When I log in as a different user, the Classic pane is there and functions perfectly.
- Otherwise 10.2 is working great!

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is there some preferences file that I need to delete, or something of that nature?

Eric

Attachments

• no_classic_prefs.jpg
    no_classic_prefs.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 19
This might be worth a shot...

Look in your personal Library/Preferences/ directory and delete com.apple.systempreferences.plist.

Also see if you have a directory called Library/PreferencePanes. If you do, check it for anything unusual.

I tried deleting the com.apple.systempreferences.plist file, but it didn't fix the problem. Then I started searching around for other related files and found this one:

com.apple.preferencepanes.cache

in Library/Caches of my home directory. I deleted it and voila! my system Preferences are all back as they should be.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Eric

Back