Classic Question

NUDrew

Registered
Hey all,

so maybe I'm overlooking something really simple...but is it possible to open up classic using the OS 9.1 base set of extensions, but boot into 9.1 using my normal set of extensions? Or do I just have to open up my extensions manager and make the switch every time I go back and forth?

Drew

no, technically it isn't possible using the same system folder. i understand that conflict catcher has the ability to automatically switch depending on whether you are in classic or real 9.1. but i think an easier and cheaper way if you have the disk space, would be to load 2 9.1s and use 1 for classic and 1 for your 9.1 working.

no, technically it isn't possible using the same system folder. i understand that conflict catcher has the ability to automatically switch depending on whether you are in classic or real 9.1. but i think an easier and cheaper way if you have the disk space, would be to load 2 9.1s and use 1 for classic and 1 for your 9.1 working.

Make 2 system folders.
One with OS 9.1 Base, and the other with all your extras.
When you boot into OS 9 just use the extras one, and for classic specify the base one.
(I have my base one on a FireWire HD so that the computer wont confuse the sets
since B&W G3s cant boot off FW external)

Admiral

Possibly if your extension set was saved as a preference file, it might be possible to create two preference files and then exchange them for different settings?

oh yeah, i've been meaning to ask, why did you call this a classic question? I always thought that they were things like:

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

HAHAHA

LOL! I supposed I should have called it "Booting Into Classic" question. I guess that would've made a bit more sense, huh?

:D

Drew

NUDrew, would you be opposed to using the spacebar as you boot into 9.1 to invoke the Extensions Manager before extensions and control panels load, then switch to your desired extension set and click continue to finish the boot? You would be able to do this when booting 9.1 proper. Unfortunately using the spacebar when starting 9.1 from within X will lock the load process somewhere after the File Exchange control panel. There is a way from within X to call the Extensions Manager when starting 9.1 before the extensions and control panels load by using the X System Preferences application. Launch the System Preferences application, click the "Classic" applet, click the "Advanced" tab, choose "Open Extension Manager" from the pulldown menu as your Startup Option, then click the "Start Classic" button. Be forewarned, the "Base" extension set in the Extensions Manager does not include the Classic compatibility extensions needed to use the Classic environment within X.

All this assuming you meant you are using the Extensions Manager AFTER 9.1 is loaded and restarting to load the proper extension set.

Just dupicate the system folder and take out anything you don't want. Why complicate matters when MacOS supports multiple system folders in one volume?

Back