Classic SUCKS BIG TIME!

Leonis

Registered
Finally got the 10.1 update CD!

All OSX native stuff run super well....Painter 7, Cinema 4D XL, Bryce, Sound Studio, Kensington mouse driver, Wacom driver....

HOWEVER...Classic, in contrast, is VERY unstable. I keeps freeze my machine if I have used the machine for more than 5 minutes and I have to force reboot the machine. Also I can't change the memory allocation to some Classic apps like Photoshop and Media Cleaner. When I change the memory allocation the dialogue box "Application Unexpected Quit" comes out immediately.

Illustrator and Dreamweaver run okay but what's the point if I can't use Photoshop???!!!!!

Can anyone help? :(

My system:
DP 500
1.5GB RAM
OSX 10.1 and 9.21 (on second HD)

If you haven't already, you might want to make a clean install of 9.x and use that as your classic environment. I had problems way back with the public beta when I tried using my regular 9.1 install for classic.

FWIW, I'm having no problems with classic (9.2.1) on my machine.

So far classic has only crashed on me once, and I've had it open pretty much from the get-go. I'm not using it all the time but as I do web development, I need photoshop, and I also have a scanner that works flawlessly in classic. Photoshop has not given men any problems as of yet.

Also from what I gather, the general consensus is that classic is a huge improvement this time around, although far from perfect.

Are you disabling absolutely every extension you do not need in classic before you boot it up? That seems to help a lot.

Also if you're depending on classic for any sort of hardware operation, that could be causing serious problems. I'm lucky that my scanner works so well.

Well I probably havent been any help at all :D Good luck though.

Well first of all, Classic sucks because it is OS 9.

OS 9 sucks by itself, so of course, Classic sucks.

But..... I have not had your problems.

Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, everything works fine. Pre 10.1 Flash would crash every 2 minutes and bring down Classic. SO STUPID! I had to boot into OS 9 to use flash. MIRACULOUSLY, this problem is now fixed with 10.1 / 9.2.1 combo. Also, Photoshop would have no file, edit, view etc. (menus in top bar), however command-key presses would still work.

So you would command-Q photoshop and start it again, then everything always worked fine.

Now with 10.1 / 9.2.1 I see much less problems. Photoshop works fine, FLASH ACTUALLY WORKS! Everything else is still the same, works fine. Classic does crash a lot, and all classic apps go away, but NEVER does it freeze my rock-solid OS X.

Also with 10.1 / 9.2.1 Classic is much faster, at least in terms of photoshop opening big files and that kind of thing.

Maybe you should back up all your files, then format your hard drive, including writing zeros.

Then clean install 9.2.1 FIRST, then install OS X 10.1.

I recommend this only because you said Classic is LOCKING UP your OS X. OS X SHOULD NEVER CRASH! I have only crashed 3 times since I got the public beta. Two of those times were zip disk problems and I got a kernel panic. The other time was the beta of Explorer... it tends to crash the whole system when watching flash files. No kernel panic... just a hard lock. Totally sucks. Leave it to Microsoft to make the only app that could hard crash OS X.

-solrac-

Originally posted by solrac
Well first of all, Classic sucks because it is OS 9.

OS 9 sucks by itself, so of course, Classic sucks.
-solrac-

hehe

Leave it to Microsoft to make the only app that could hard crash OS X.

Eh, I dunno. MS's mac team is pretty good IMHO. I haven't had many problems at all with Explorer. Rarely crashes and has never taken down my system. Of course I've read plenty of posts from people who say this doesn happen to them. Who knows whats going on...

The only times i've ever had OSX lock up has been when certain horribly programmed "full screen" apps (like games) lock up and since you cant do anything about it unless you can get to the finder or another app to force quit it (and i dont have sshd enabled), you're screwed.

Those kinds of crashes aren't really the fault of OSX though... although it would be nice if cmd-opt-esc brought up the force quit dialogue NO MATTER WHAT, in ANY SITUATION... like in windows 2000 (which i have running on my PC). No matter how screwed my PC has gotten in the past, I can always ctrl-alt-delete out of it :D

Ok well OS X crashed this one other time because I couldn't access the force quit window, nor the terminal app.

1) Dock was working
2) Finder was crashed (not relaunching)
3) Apps could not launch
4) Force-quit window did not appear

I think nothing can crash the dock. Even if Finder, and everything else is gone, the Dock is always there.

So it was frozen, and I couldn't launch terminal.

So I don't count that as a true crash.

But I reproduced the situation with a solution! I placed the terminal in my "Launch at Startup" thing in login preferences, and then the same thing happened (I think it was a game, full screen).

I could switch to the terminal with the dock, and instead of force-quit window (which wasn't working), I used the command ps -aux. This listed all processes and their IDs. Much more in depth than force-quit window. Then I used the command kill [id] where id is the process id. I killed the game, the finder, and the dock. The finder and dock just came back quickly and the game stopped. System uncrashed!!!!! Cool!!!!!!!

Ok, but what is this sshd you were talking about?????????

-solrac-

I could switch to the terminal with the dock

How did you switch to the dock if the front most app was frozen (and you say it was a full screen one)? I always have terminal open and would be able to get out of these situations, if i could get to it. But that's the problem. When an app like that freezes, you cant do jack diddly (that i know of)

Ok, but what is this sshd you were talking about?????????

sshd = secure shell daemon. the secure shell server. meaning, i could log on to my osx box from my win2k box and have a shell prompt.. exactly the same as being able to get to the terminal and kill the process, only i'd do it from my win2k machine and then the offending app would quit on my mac.

I love unix :)

Yeah the game was full screen, but the dock still came up when I put my mouse on the bottom of the screen. I keep my dock on show / hide. How can ANYONE work with the dock ALWAYS there......... ridiculous.

ahhh I'll have to learn how to set up sshd later

-solrac-

Originally posted by solrac
ahhh I'll have to learn how to set up sshd later
It's quite easy. Open up system prefs, go to the Sharing pane, then click the Applicaton tab, and turn on "remote login". This enables sshd.

You will then be able to login remotely from any computer using a secure shell program, supposing of course that your computer is on internet and you know the IP address of it... my IP is static (never changes), I got cable modem.

On OSX or any unix, just type "ssh -l yourusername youripaddress" to open a session to your computer. From windows, I highly recommend a program called putty, which is available at the address below and totally free.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

:)

I have the same configuration with 768 megs. Classic is fine for me. It is on a separate hard disk.

Originally posted by Leonis
Finally got the 10.1 update CD!

All OSX native stuff run super well....Painter 7, Cinema 4D XL, Bryce, Sound Studio, Kensington mouse driver, Wacom driver....

HOWEVER...Classic, in contrast, is VERY unstable. I keeps freeze my machine if I have used the machine for more than 5 minutes and I have to force reboot the machine. Also I can't change the memory allocation to some Classic apps like Photoshop and Media Cleaner. When I change the memory allocation the dialogue box "Application Unexpected Quit" comes out immediately.

Illustrator and Dreamweaver run okay but what's the point if I can't use Photoshop???!!!!!

Can anyone help? :(

My system:
DP 500
1.5GB RAM
OSX 10.1 and 9.21 (on second HD)

Classic works fine for me. You definitely have enough horsepower and memory, so I would suggest trashing your current OS 9 system folder (after you back up!) and doing a clean install of OS 9.2.1. Also, if Photoshop is giving you more problems than the other apps, you might want to do a clean install of it as well (or at least trash it's preferences files)

I run Classic daily with Photoshop, Imageready, Suitcase and Dreamweaver (and sometimes Classic IE when I'm previewing a page), all along with native Freehand, Mail, IE, AIM, and either AppleWorks or Word Test Drive with minimal problems (DP800/1GB RAM). The only snag I sometimes run in to is what I call the Classic "stutter". Classic will be chugging along, and then, for no reason that I can determine, starts stuttering every five or six seconds for about 1/2 second. Enough time that if you typing, you can visibly see the stutter. It's happened about 5 times so far. Each time, I just quit Classic and relaunch and everything is hunky dory.

I run Webstar 4.4, and i want the telnet feature of OSX, so I run Webstar in Classic, and use the operating system of OSX to allow users to telnet. However, i get an UGLY crash.. in the screen appears what appears to be command prompt and then the mouse freezes!! and I have to do a HARD reset,,, its running OS 9.1 as the Classic.. will OS 9.2 upgrade stop this?

thanks

My comp runs Classic pretty well too, although I admit I don't use many intensive apps in Classic -- I've used the tryout of Photoshop 6 twice and it's worked flawlessly.

Again, as everyone else suggested, do a clean install of OS 9.2.1 as your Classic folder. That usually does the trick.

I use photoshop all day in classic and I have to say that a new issue with it popped up in 10.1. When I'm working in photoshop, and something happens in 10.1 - ie. receiving an ICQ message, photoshop just grinds - almost to a halt, until I take care of what's happening in 10.1. This didn't occur in Classic previous to 10.1. Otherwise, it runs fine - so do my other apps that I still have to run in classic. Stats: 384 mb ram, 500 mhz imac.

I throw my hat in the "it works well for me" pile.
I have experienced not problems (yet)
I usally use classic for classic net apps, some photoshop and some Office apps.

Admiral

jadey i have pretty much the same machine as you. photoshop works fine. though i dont use icq or classic all that much. and what i HAVE run in classic works fine for me. i guess i havent really used classic in osx extensively

After a month of observation....my "analysis" is as follow

Apps that work fine/okay/acceptable under Classic:
Media Cleaner 5.02 (fine)
After Effects 5 (acceptable)
Word 98 (fine)
QuarkXpress 4.1 (okay)
SoundEdit 16 version 2.06 (fine)
Streamline 4 (fine)
Debabilizer 1.6 (fine)
Dreamweaver 4.02 (okay)

Apps that still run like joke under Classic:
Photoshop 5.5/6 :mad:
Illustrator 9 (now I switched to Freehand 10 so it's not a serious issue)
Flash 5 (Can't launch it at all! :mad: )
Fireworks 4
Director 8.5
Final Cut Pro 2 (Needless to say)

Back