classic superuser lockout

kistler

Registered
I had to log in as root to adjust some access privledges for some folders and I inadvertantly messed up some of the access privledges that effect the classic environment. Now when I try to run Classic it gives me an error that says:

"You are running Classic without superuser(root) privledges. Ensure that TruBlueEnvironment is setuid and owned by root, or re-install Classic."

I've already tried reinstalling Classic, but to no avail. I made sure that Classic and the OS 9 folder are both owned by root, but I have no idea what the setuid part means. Could someone with some UNIX knowledge please help me?

Thanks,
Ken

I also messed with the sharing properties, and got the same dialouge! I am a total newbie to unix, but I learned a couple tricks by messing with it, and reading FAQ's. under the unix console, I remanmed Classic.app to classic (using the command "mv classic.app classic") and i was able to open it as a folder. I found a file called "TruBlueEnviornment" in one of the sub directories. I tried messing with the shairing properties of the file to see if i could get classic to work. I never could :( If any one knows the defalt sharing properties for the Mac OS 9 folder, the classic app, and/or the applications folder, please reply.

After messin around with this problem for a while, I think there is a way to make it so that when u open an application, you can make it automaticly open up as if it was opened by root (or any other user) even though you are loged on as a different user. If this is true, then you will have to run a command under the unix console to do it! If anyone knows how to do this, please share your knowlage, and post a reply!

Thanx

The only way to change setuid permissions currently is with the Terminal:
Launch it.
Type "su" (no quotes) to switch user to root (you need the password, obviously)
Type "cd /Applications/Classic.app/Contents/Resources" provided that you haven't changed the name of Classic (and you shouldn't)
Type "chmod u+s TruBlueEnvironment"

Done. Don't change any permissions on Classic.app since this is what you'll have to do to fix it.

Back