Classic will not start, even after reinstalling

sallamud

Registered
After researching here as well as other OSX sites, I decided yesterday to redo my system setup to place OSX and 9.1 on different partitions, and to create a small partition on a separate drive for OSX to swap to.

So, after reformatting, I installed 9.0 on one partition, then ran the 9.1 update. After that, I installed OSX on a different partition and ran the 10.04 update.

One would think that after such a clean installation that things would work flawlessly, but that hasn't been the case.

Unfortunately, Classic will not start, though I can reboot into 9.1 without a problem.

What I get when I start Classic is a blank (white) window with the Classic progress bar in the top left, and a Stop button on the right. Nothing happens, even after minutes of waiting. So, I'm forced to stop Classic, after which I can no longer even attempt to start it, since OSX tells me that "another instance of Classic or MacOS is currently running" and I can only have one at a time...

I love Apple and am pleased with OSX, but I'm really disturbed by the lack of documentation on such a difficult OS to install correctly.

I'm planning on reinstalling once more... I'll go from the 9.1 disk that came with OSX first this time, and then OSX, then 10.04 update. Sound good? Any ideas that could help me avoid reinstalling?

At what point during installation does OSX place it's needed Classic compatability files into 9.1? Does it occur upon first startup of Classic or what? That info may help.

Thanks to all of you.

I'm planning on reinstalling once more... I'll go from the 9.1 disk that came with OSX first this time, and then OSX, then 10.04 update. Sound good?

Ya, but you might want to start up Classic once from the vanilla 10.0.0 install before updating to 10.0.4 to let 10.0.0 do its install thing.

At what point during installation does OSX place it's needed Classic compatability files into 9.1? Does it occur upon first startup of Classic or what?

Right, upon first starting up Classic from that 9.1 System Folder OSX should say something like "The current Classic folder needs some stuff copied over to work properly" (I'm paraphrasing :)

Okay... I've reinstalled OSX, which started Classic with no problems... Then I allowed Software Update to patch to 10.0.4., and I can no longer start Classic. Yay! This is really fun! ;)

Anyway, both of my drives are formatted as HFS, so no problem there. Maybe somehow the 10.0.4 update is screwing things up... I have the patch file on hand, maybe I'll update using it, instead of going through Software Update.

BTW, I actually have 9.1 in two places. Neither will start as Classic.

If patching manually doesn't work, I'm just going to leave it at 10.0 until 10.1.
I've got work to do! :)

Thanks for the advice, both of you.

I have had a similar problem! When I moved from my old G4 to my Cube, I just copied my 9.1 system over to the Cube and then installed X 10.0.3, and it didn't recognize the classic system! I did everything to fix it...no chance. I formated the drive, installed 9.1, then X...same problem. Formatted again, installed X, then 9.1, then again X....worked...somehow.....had the same problem at work, but there it was a wrong jumper setting of the HDD where classic was on. Check if all your drives are jumpered correct (Master with Slave presenst and Slave and that stuff)...it doesn't matter that much under 9.1, but it seems to matter under OS X.

Hopefully, with 10.1 and 9.2, everything gets better (and judging from what I downloaded over Carracho...if it is half as good as this beta-illegal-untuned-piece-of-build-5F24....it willl be much better ;)

Ulrik,

I've given up, actually, and am waiting for 10.1/9.2 release.

I reinstalled 10.0, which started Classic just fine, but then I upgraded once again to 10.0.4, and suddenly X could no longer start Classic. I'm tired of messing with it, and considering that a huge upgrade is just a few weeks away, why bother? I can't really get work done in Classic mode right now anyway, since I use a Wacom tablet and they haven't released X drivers.

Since 10.0.0 started Classic fine, I'm assuming hard drive jumpers couldn't be the problem. Thanks though!

Sall

I had the same problem a while back. Basically, you need to update Startup Disk in 9.1. You can either d/l it directly from Apple (registration required, the bastards) or try Software Update.

Hope this helps!

(just to be sure: it's complaining that you have no 9.1 system folder even though you clearly do, right?)

alexrd,

i don't get any error messages at all... just the classic starting progress window that never actually goes anywhere. X doesn't seem to have a problem recognizing where 9.1 is located, 9.1 just never loads - though i can reboot into 9.1 without a problem.

i'll try your suggestion though. thanks!

It fixed itself! Classic and OSX are functioning correctly. One day it wasn't working, the next day it is...

Hope it isn't a let down for this thread that I started. It would've been nice to actually have FOUND a solution. But, I'll take it!

Finally... :)

Back