Classic

About the Classic disapearing problem... It does sort of the same thing with
me (loads the extensions then disapears) but I had thought that was normal, maybe
not?, I had loaded up a couple of classic apps (like ICQ, Audion, Macster ect. ect..) and
they load up fine.

For me the classic apps dont appear on an emulated OS 9 desktop or finder, but they
appear on the actual os x desktop... This seems normal to me, but I am an idiot. It
may be normal that classic dissapears after showing all the loaded extensions? Right
now im running ICQ and Netscape Communicator from classic but they (appear) to be
on my os x desktop itself and not classic, even though they are running on classic obviously.

I doubt any of you understand my rambling, and I apologize... just trying to help if I
can. I hope I've helped someone somehow. By the way I'm running osx/os9 on my
Rev. A Bondi iMac 233MHz 96MB ram partition 4GB HD. peace

For me the classic apps dont appear on an emulated OS 9 desktop or finder, but they
appear on the actual os x desktop... This seems normal to me, but I am an idiot. It
may be normal that classic dissapears after showing all the loaded extensions? Right
now im running ICQ and Netscape Communicator from classic but they (appear) to be
on my os x desktop itself and not classic, even though they are running on classic obviously.

Yes, that is how it's supposed to work! after it loads up, it'll disappear, but there will be a new icon on the dock, with an orange 9 on it. The classic apps appear to run right on the osx desktop!

You can also fire up the Process Viewer, and look for "TruBlueEnvironment". If that's running, then you've got classic.

For even more fun, see what happens when you force quit classic, and leave the trublueenviro running. You can still run classic apps!

Go here for screenshots of what is possible!
http://24.161.35.35/osx/screenshots/

I had loaded up a couple of classic apps (like ICQ, Audion, Macster ect. ect..)
just to note, there are OSX native versions of all of these Audion has a carbon version, Macster PR 5.5 is carbonized and Fire by epicware http://www.epicware.com/fire.html is a good enough ICQ + AIM client that i wouldn't go back to the official versions if they were native OSX

Thanks for the link to epicware, I'm gonna give fire a shot.... Another thing I had been running on classic is Unreal Tournament. That is a game I wish ran a little more smoothly on classic, but it actually doesnt run too bad considering my memory and everything. peace

I tried removing extensions, eventually I booted into 9 dragged everything out of the extensions folder and then rebooted into X and tried to run classic. It accomplished more then usual I got to see the desktop in classic come up briefly I was still not able to start up any classic apps, I only tried SimpleText I think. Anyway before all this, Classic loaded some extensions off the OS X CD, this list is what X thinks it needs to run classic:

Appleshare
File Sharing Extensions
Software Update Engine
Carbon Lib
OpenTransport
Classic Rave
OpenGLLibrary
SoftwareUpdateScheduler

All my messing around with extensions caused several control panels to stop working when I booted into 9. I eventually fixed everything, but I'm unsure why the control panels stoped working, though I know it was my mucking about. I'm off to zap the PRAM as I haven't done that yet, couldn't remember the keyboard commands.

Muskie

I had the classic hanging problem as well, but I managed to get it working by reinstalling OS X PB and formatting the partition as HFS (I previously opted for UFS when I first installed it). After that, it worked fine, even with my bucketload of extensions.

Environment: iMac rev B (233MHz), 96MB RAM, 2 partitions with OS 9 on the primary partition.

I've been trying to find out what is causing the disappearance of Classic window. MacOS 9.0.4 is causing it. Before I upgrade up to 9.0.4, it work perfectly until i upgraded 9.0.4 and it won't finish the startup process. Then I uninstall 9.0.4 and it startup perfectly. I think that Apple is aware of this situation too. Hope they will send out next version of beta ASAP! Can't wait to use more feature not found in beta 1 :)

Adam

my problem with classic started after I had chosen the classic system folder as the startup disk, started on it a few times (turning a few extensions on and off, but they're all basic os9 exts) and played a DVD, then selected macosx as the startup disk and booted into that. since then classic returns an error message when I launch it: the application has unexpectedly quit, error code -2.

my os 9 is located in the mac os 9 folder, not on a separate disk.

something similar happened on my last machine, but on that one I started on the os 9 classic used a couple of times and classic still worked, util one time when it didn't anymore.

I'm puzzled.

I've been having similar problems with my Classic environment since I reinstalled MacOS 9 & X. It starts then crashes.

I've got two partitions: an HFS+ for MacOS 9 and UFS for MacOS X. According to a note I spotted on Deja, the Classic app needs to be run from an HFS+ partition. So this is what I did:

----> Copied Classic.app to my MacOS 9 system folder.

----> Opened Terminal and cd'ed to the same directory as Classic.app.

----> Ran the command "chmod 4775 Classic.app/Contents/Resources/TruBluEnvironment" to fix the setuid on TrueBlue (the path and/or filenames might be misspelled--I'm doing this from memory!).

----> Ran the Classic.app from the MacOS 9 partition.

The Classic.app automatically installed the extensions it needed into MacOS 9 and ran beautifully after that.

Hope this is helpful.

Dave

Back