Classic

tavman

Registered
The classic environment, begins to load, I get the windows with the mac smiling in it, and then just closes?

what am i doing wrong?

i have mac os 9 installed on a second partition.

Man, classic is pretty stable. It should work. I am almost sure it's the extensions. Try holding shift while the classic is booting...

My Classic environment doesn't startup either. If i double-click a MacOS 9 app or start Classic manually, the same thing happens: MacOS 9 boots inside Classic, but as soon as it's completely booted, Classic suddenly disappears, leaving absolutely no trace what so ever!

What's unusual is that the Classic environment loading window doesn't refresh properly. When Classic is starting up, I see the smiling Mac, then the MacOS 9 welcome screen, but the window refreshing stops there... I don't see the extensions loading or the Finder appearing... I have to click the small triangle to hide and show the small Classic screen to update the display. If I hit the triangle repeatedly, I can see the extensions loading and even my MacOS 9 desktop appear... But as soon as the desktop is completely visible, the Classic app quits without any sign of trouble...

Bottom line : I can't use the Classic environment on my PowerBook G3 FireWire 400, 192MB RAM, planty of hard disk space, no extra stuff added except the AirPort card.

I think the problem could be related to the specific
extensions of your OS 9 ....

I have the same problem, and thought that it was
related only to the small amount of RAM (64 megs)
but if the same problem manifest with 192 megs ....

I'd try to reduce the extensions to a minimum,
or leaving away third party ones at the beginning.

Apple should post a list of problematic extensions ....

I too am having problems with Classic under Mac OS X.
It begines to load, shows a dialog box, and then just disappears. It is on a seperat partition however...

any takers?

-Adam

yea, i have to say i think there's something to this.

i have macos9 installed on another partition (first one
as suggested). i had a fresh install upgraded to 9.04
(as well as normal one) and i get as far as the progress
meter 1/16 across the screen. sometimes. often
i get nowhere. then it just dies. i have noticed that
extensions requiring input (bootx for linuxppc) screw
it up. i can, of course, boot into it just fine.

well, hell. i'm in it for BSD so i don't really care
about Classic. but i do suspect i'm in the minority.

dave

Guys you have to read the post. Turn your extensions to a min. and you will have classic loaing in no time. I to had the same problem but i turned them to a min. and it works great. Try to turn them off.

I changed my extention set to Mac OS 9.0.4 base and it still hangs and disappears while trying to load Classic in X. I am wondering if it is because it is on a seperate
partition...

-Adam

I first installed X on the same partition as 9 and I had some problems. Classic worked fine, but I had problems with System Disk crashing and getting back to OS9.

I reformatted the drive... dumped the old os9 in one partiton and installed X on it's own partition.

I would highly recommend using separate partitions.

Classic is working great for me.

Powerbook G3 333, 320mb ram

I am having problems under MacOS X as well (will not load). I read your posting and tried the same things you were doing (opening and closing the arrow for the forced screen refresh) and I had the same exact results!! I hope somebody out there has a suggestion to correcting this problem.

I have a lime green iMac 333MHz with 192 Megs of ram and a 40 gig (that's right) hard drive. I did notice something however...

The Classic window seemed to bottom out just before it would mount all the partitions (there are 5) on the desktop. Does anyone think these multiple partitions could be hanging the Classic emulator?

-Adam

Originally posted by sype
My Classic environment doesn't startup either. If i double-click a MacOS 9 app or start Classic manually, the same thing happens: MacOS 9 boots inside Classic, but as soon as it's completely booted, Classic suddenly disappears, leaving absolutely no trace what so ever!

What's unusual is that the Classic environment loading window doesn't refresh properly. When Classic is starting up, I see the smiling Mac, then the MacOS 9 welcome screen, but the window refreshing stops there... I don't see the extensions loading or the Finder appearing... I have to click the small triangle to hide and show the small Classic screen to update the display. If I hit the triangle repeatedly, I can see the extensions loading and even my MacOS 9 desktop appear... But as soon as the desktop is completely visible, the Classic app quits without any sign of trouble...

Bottom line : I can't use the Classic environment on my PowerBook G3 FireWire 400, 192MB RAM, planty of hard disk space, no extra stuff added except the AirPort card.

I'm gonna give it straight to you, my experiences with this. I had the Dev Previews, and I was having that happen. It was ONLY when I installed it on UFS type disk. When I installed the beta, I already knew, so I made sure to use HFS disk, so I don't know if that is an issue, but from my experience, in numerous apps, HFS format works best.

I have a lime green iMac 333MHz with 192 Megs of ram and a 40 gig (that's right) hard drive. I did notice something however...

The Classic window seemed to bottom out just before it would mount all the partitions (there are 5) on the desktop. Does anyone think these multiple partitions could be hanging the Classic emulator?

I'm running a beige 266 MHz MT upgraded to 224 MB Ram and a 500 MHz OWC zif chip, with 4 disks (3 external SCSI, 1 internal ATA) and at least 20 partitions. WORKS PERFECTLY.

Classic initially failed for me until I rebooted MacOS 9.0.4 and used Conflict Catcher to create a new set of bootables - namely - removed just about every non-Apple extension. Then I rebotted MacOS X and Classic works just fine.

I am now trying to identify which non-Apple extension was killing Classic. More later.

I have read elsewhere that a Mac OS 9 installed from the mirror CD that came with the Mac is a sure fire way to have a crashy Classic in OS X. Some say that the safest way to have a stable Classic layer is to install OS 9 from scratch. (I'm not sure I am being clear, although I cannot find a better way to say it...)

Also, in the TILs, it is written that a crash of the Classic layer is bound to happen if one has a third party virtual memory manager installed (such as RAM doubler) : it confliect with OS X's virtual memory management. The solution is to un-install them before booting in OS X.

Pascal,

I read your reply to everyone about how OS 9 will crash in OS X if not installed clean. I installed a clean version of OS 9 and it works great in OS X untill I try to shut it down. It then tells me the finder has crashed and I have to force quite. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Originally posted by tavman
The classic environment, begins to load, I get the windows with the mac smiling in it, and then just closes?

what am i doing wrong?

i have mac os 9 installed on a second partition.

I had the same problem & got it down to two extensions. Action Gomac & VNC Server. Other people have apparantly had problems with USB overdrive but it works fine for me.

Try disabling all non core extensions & then re-enabling them one at a time. It's a long task but worth it as classic is great once its up & running. I find that apps all work as fast as in OS 9 with the exception of quicktime movie player which seems to struggle in classic & OS X.

Hope that this helps.

Based on some of the descriptions here, particulary the ones that say the extensions load and then the window just closes, I would say nothing is wrong. When you launch the Classic environment, it just enables OS X to run OS 9 apps. It does not run OS 9 in a window. I think some folks are expecting to see something like Virtual PC.

To verify, open your OS 9 drive (or partition). Then, attempt to launch an application and see if it loads. If so, you will see what I mean. If not, then you might actually have a problem. If the first app you try does not work, try a few others. Some programs will not operate in the Classic environment, particularly those that require interaction with hardware peripherals such as scanner software, printer software, etc. 3D games will not operate either as they rely on the video card.

Hope that this helps.

Mark Thompson

Originally posted by Pascal
I have read elsewhere that a Mac OS 9 installed from the mirror CD that came with the Mac is a sure fire way to have a crashy Classic in OS X. Some say that the safest way to have a stable Classic layer is to install OS 9 from scratch. (I'm not sure I am being clear, although I cannot find a better way to say it...)

Also, in the TILs, it is written that a crash of the Classic layer is bound to happen if one has a third party virtual memory manager installed (such as RAM doubler) : it confliect with OS X's virtual memory management. The solution is to un-install them before booting in OS X.

That's interesting. where did you hear that? that seems a lot like apple is trying to squeeze a whole bunch more mac os 9 sales out of X. a LOT more sales. i have the os 9 disc, and the ones that came with my g4, but my 9 disk is 9.0, not 9.0.4. I would have to run the upgrade, and that is too much of a pain. I've been running classic fine from a system restore disk copy of 9. i don't run it much, but when i do, it runs fine. actually, on my powerbook, the os9 is off of the disc, and it is only 9.0.4, and it actually is worse than the g4 using the 'mirror'.

I too have been having trouble with classic when I finally installed it last night. Out of apathy and due to the negligable value of the files on my computer I have no partitions. I have stock Apple hardware, a G4 with 192 mb or ram.

The first time I tried to run Classic it attempted to load stuff from the CD it said it needed. I didn't know to click on the little triangle but eventually it just quit. Further attempts also proved unsucessful, ie the little bar didn't seem to advance. Eventually I rebooted in OS 9 which worked out surprisingly well, though it warned me that my system improperly shut down last time, (the failed attempts by OS X to load classic).

Further tries with the triangle pointing down, revealed that the happy mac comes up, then the Welcome Mac OS 9 screen but no extensions are loaded. It just peters out, and if I try again I don't get very far, but if I reboot into Mac OS 9 I get the message about improper quiting.

I haven't installed anything on this machine but browsers and games and even those were only two of each, I don't recall adding any additional extensions. That said my computer will undoubtably run with less extensions so I will try disabling some in OS 9 then try running classic, I never had enought time or energy to try everything I would have liked.

Muskie

Since when I run (fail to run?) classic the status bar never advances and Classic disappers suddenly from the dock and the desktop and I never see the extensions load when I have the little triangle facing down, I take this to be an unsucessful attempt to start Classic. However I never tried to then launch a Classic app after this such as SimpleText.

My question is when classic sucessfully runs, does it's icon remain in the dock, while you go off to play Diablo II or whatever from you OS 9 folder?

Muskie

I'm gonna get a reputation for suggesting this for every problem, but has anyone tried to zap their pram?

Here's my install so far :
powerbook g3 233 - 160 ram, no bs cache, 2gig hfs+ drive, with an existing os 9.0.4, which I've had for a while. It's the 9 that I use everyday.
when I first installed, I had no trouble, the install went fine. When I wanted to reboot into 9 tho, before I know about the system disk deal, I tried to hold option, and got the folder with the question mark (?). I zapped the pram, and it booted back into 9, with out any trouble.

Classic works great.
X and 9 are on the same drive.
I haven't disabled any extensions, but when classic starts, I can see a few have red crosses over them. X may be disabling the ones it knows don't work?

Try the pram. also, for startup problems, people have been reporting that disk warrior has worked. I haven't heard much about norton.

Try this - open the process viewer, and console, and then launch classic. Se if either of them provide any valuable information. Console in particular. Even if it doesn't make sense, copy it, and send it to the Apple feedback site!

Back