Clean Install for OS X 10.4

careytst

Registered
I'm new to these Macs. I normally do PC's. What is required to do a clean install to a G4 PowerMac Dual 800 Quicksilver for OS X 10.4?

Good :)
One thing is the RAM minimum requirement.. the other is when it's usable and fun. So with 1.5 GB your system(s) will be nice.
If you have ever installed any OS, installing Mac OS X will not be too complicated. Just select the correct type, and if you want to save space, on the next screen there is "customize" button - clicking on that, unselecting any printer drivers, programs, or localizations you would never use can save easily 3 GB space. Space (or RAM) isn't as expensive as it used to but can probably find more use for those 2-3 GB space than languages you don't know or having the printer drivers for every model of Epsons ever made. After OS X install you'll probably want to run the software update and get the system to 10.4.11 straight away, (and at least then remove some of those localizations...)

Thanks again Giaguara.
Now all I gotta do is find a retail version at a resonable price, or can I use an OEM single user version instead.

There is no such thing as an "OEM single user" version of Mac OS X. There are only two types of Mac OS X Install CDs/DVDs:

1) Retail versions, which are purchased separately from a Mac computer (and come in two flavors: regular, one-computer install and 5-computer, family pack installs)
2) The bundled "System Restore" CDs/DVDs that come included with new Mac computers.

You should only have the System Restore CDs/DVDs that came with your Mac computer. Any other installs you wish to do should be done with the retail versions of Mac OS X.

Back