Clean Install

Lord Maelstrom

Registered
I recently decided (this struck me randomly) that if/when I install Tiger, I would do a clean install. I like the idea of a clean slate.

Except, I'm not exactly sure which files I need to back up.
I know to back up my music, and my documents folder, but is there anything else to that? I realize I'd have to reinstall my applications too, but I figured that there was something more to it.

Any info would be great.

Just back up what you need: don't forget email, unless you've got an IMAP email account which should store the mail on the server, not on your machine. Also remember email server settings and passwords.

If you're one of those people who has a zillion passwords and have already forgotten most of them due to the convenience of the Keychain, it might help to go back in and write down those passwords. I wouldn't recommend backing up the keychain, since it would be virtually useless if you decided to go with a different username or password on Tiger.

Bookmarks: in the ~/Library/Safari folder.

Contacts: ~/Library/AddressBook

Photos

That's all I can think of for now... making a complete backup of your entire Users folder couldn't hurt... I hope that helps!

Lord Maelstrom said:
Except, I'm not exactly sure which files I need to back up.

I would back up my entire home folder. Also, I would back up the downloaded application disk images of any applications that I might want to try to use with Tiger.

Back