Cleaning documents etc. off old Mac

Ragnes

Registered
I have an old Mac (9.1) which no longer gets internet access. I'd like to donate it to an afterschool program or find some other place that could use it. Before I do so, I'd like to completely clean off all the documents I've created on it. I understand that throwing everything into the trashcan and then emptying the trash doesn't do the trick. Would anyone be willing to tell me how to clean it up. I'd like to leave the software programs that came with the computer on. I just want to get rid of all my personal stuff.
Thanks,
Ragnes

Just reinstall the OS, but before you go ahead and do the install, run disk utility from the install disk and either erase or re-partition the hard drive. In my experience, that has usually done the trick.

Also, I don't know if you've actually contacted the program that you wish to donate the computer to, but also, in my experience, I have had a really hard time finding a school to accept old computers (they usually don't like doing that). You might be better off finding a neighborhood kid who just needs a computer to write papers and stuff.

For the love of your own sanity do at least this:

1) Boot from OS X install disk.
2) Open Disk Utility
3) From the 'Security Options..." button under the Erase tab choose AT LEAST the 7 pass erase, if not the 35 pass erase
4) Erase disk using these settings. It'll take a while (24 hours, maybe), but bear with it.
5) Feel secure that no passing joe is going to have access to what was once on your hard disk.

Yes, I may be fulling paranoia, but having seen data recovered from disks I thought were physically damaged beyond all hope I just don't think it's worth letting a hard drive out into the wild without a good couple of 35 pass erases.

I want to thank those of you who have responded to my question about cleaning documents off an old Mac. I was hoping to do that quickly before I moved, but at this point I need to focus on packing. Then I'll come back to this project. When I do, I'll let you know if I have more questions.
Ragnes

Back