Cleaning up "Open With" ???

j79

chuok
I need help cleaning up the "Open With" contextual menu option.

When I want to open up a JPG image created/saved in Photoshop in something other than Photoshop (say, Preview - since its much quicker to open...), I typically right click on the file and move over to "Open With" and then choose the application from the menu.

In the past, this worked great and was really quick and simple.

However, I'm finding that my Open With menu is cluttered with options and applications I would never use. In fact, some applications are being listed multiple times. For example, Safari is listed THREE times. Preview is listed three times. Same with Quicktime Player, which is listed three times.

There are other "Applications" which are listed, such as "Aged Photo", or "Make Button", which we're placed by Adobe CS2, which I'll never use.

Is there a way to remove these options from the menu??

Thanks!

- Jack

Just create an archive of the folders that contain the droplet actions (Image Droplets and Phoshop Droplets) which are in Adobe Photoshop CS2 > Samples > Droplets.
(you could also delete those, but you might need them in the future ;))

You can also remove an applications unwanted file associations by right-clicking it, going into "Get Package Contents" and then navigating to info.plist. You can then edit thiis file to reove unwanted file-types. For instance, you're unlikely to want to use QuickTime to open a JPEG file, even though it *is* supported.

Changing this file stops that app from appearing as a choice in the "Open with" box, but the app will still be able to open that file type if you want.

Back