Clicking sounds after sleep

Drizzt

Registered
After I wake my comp up from being "asleep" I hear these clicking sounds, like the HD is spining down and then spining back up again when I start forcing the disk to access. For example, I'll be browsing a web board like this one and I'll hear it click as if spining down, then when I click on another topic or something I hear it click back into action again. Is there anything wrong w/ putting the comp to sleep in OS X that's causing these clicks? I know it's from the sleep mode because it didn't happen before when I was just using the screen saver. I have neither sleep nor the screen saver set to automatically turn on. My setup is a g4 533 w/ a Rage card and 512 mb of ram.

First, I would backup my data. Next, I would save up for a new HD. (But that's just me)

It sounds off hand like a problem with the hard drive mechanisms, however, it may also be a problem with something in the system software. (Energy Saver obviously)

Did you set Energy Saver to separately time hard disk sleep? If so, did you set it to never?

Did you create a new user, and try to recreate the problem that way? If it doesn't occur, try to set up the settings one at a time over to your personal settings.

Do you have any third party software running that might interfere with the energy saver settings?

Let us know how this works for you.

Well I'd love to be able to get a new hd but being in college makes that a little hard.

As for your other questions, no I haven't tried creating another user yet. I will try that and see if it has any noticeable differences.

My energy saver settings are set to never w/ the other two check boxes unchecked.

The 3rd party system software that I have installed is ASM and RandomBackground. I'm not sure that those would really cause so much of a conflict though. When I put it to sleep, I leave no other apps runing

clicking sounds and other noises during any access to disk are often signs your disk needs defragmenting and optimized. I have written on this subject many times. do a site search for defrag and you should find more on this. (sorry - busy day or i would search for you)

Back