Clue to 10.2 internet connection problems.

chrios

Registered
I have the "cannot open communication device" error on my TiBook 550 when I try to dial in. By looking in the console, i can see that the "dev/cu.modem" is busy. Well what’s tying it up? I may have a clue. After trying to connect, a background application is started. By examining the process viewer, i see a background process called AppleModemOnHold. This name is highly suggestive. If this application is using the modem, that would prevent internet connect from using it (only one application can use a port, like the modem, at any given time). I then found an article on xlr8yourmac.com discussing a new 10.2 feature: Modem on Hold.

Here is the blurb:

Notes on Jaguar V.92 Modem Driver with Hold Feature, Supporting ISP Listing

" Apple has updated the modem driver in Jaguar to support v.92. This support also includes modem on hold which allows you to put your internet connection on hold to answer an incoming call. The Network Prefs/Modem panel (*on a machine with a supported modem*) shows several new options that pertain to v.92. The ISP also needs to have v.92 servers for this to work.

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/v92isp.asp lists the current ISP's that support v.92. The new driver also appears to fix the random disconnect problems users have reported on the Apple discussion boards. This update is for the internal usb modem only."

I think this feature has a bug that is playing up with the modem. I confirmed something that I had noticed before. Under my powerbook I see additional options under the modem tab. Things like what to do with incoming calls. This option is not shown on my quicksilver (which dials up fine). They are both apple internal modems, but my TiBook's one has these v.92 options. This is the only difference between computers that dial up fine for me, and computers that don't. There’s no way that is a coincidence.

I'm not sure how to proceed, but this does seem like the probable cause. Please post if you have similar issues, and if you see this AppleModemOnHold app running after you attempt to dial. I see no mention of this being fixed in the 10.2.1 update, so if your effected, post here.

Am just joinging this forum so am a little behind but..... I think you are definetly on to something. I am using 10.3 but my OS still has modem issues.
When receiving an incoming, a panel drops down and gives you the option of answer or ingnore. I have tried both and don't think they work properly. This condition happened right out of the box so it wasn't like something I added or reset some settings. If you select answer, the modem connection should break or go on hold and let you answer the phone. Never happens. The only way I can answer the phone is though the pull-down modem menu>disconnect. Then I will hear my phone ring and can answer. However, when I go back to "connect" I get strange sounds (not the usual modem hook up sounds) and it never connects. The only way to connect is to re-boot the computer. Still in my 9.X mode of troubleshooting and thinking I can trash any .plist and the system will build me a new one on reboot, I threw away a
.plist file: com.apple.modemonhold.plist. It does rebuild the file but didn't fix the problem. If anyone has any info on an Apple fix or that they are aware of the problem please post back. Thanks, Marv

Back