CnC Generals, at it again. Tiger this time.

MikeMTL

Registered
I've had this problem before in this thread. Basically, Command and Conquer Generals does not play smoothly at all. As soon as it gets to the menu screen, it is in major lag mode. Lagtastic as I, being a nerd, like to say. The video quality is on high but I used to run the game like that no problem. If I lower the quality, I get a better framerate but still, SLOOOW.

I updated my system to OS 10.3.9 as was suggested in the previous thread but now I have Tiger and the problem has returned. I've updated OS X to 10.4.4 and Quicktime to 7.0.3 (or 4 I don't remember) and I've reinstalled the game. All this to no avail. I've got a strong enough Mac to run the game because it's done it before. I have a G4 iMac (that weird, snow globe looking one in case none of you remember.) It has a 1GHz processor and 768 Megs of RAM. Why is my game running like it's on a Performa (okay, not that old) and how do I fix it?

You need to tone down the video settings. A 1 GHz G4 iMac with a GeForce4 MX (essentially a GeForce 2) is not going to be able to run C&C Generals at full details. My Powerbook 12" with a better processor and video card chokes at full details. I don't know what you did before, but I find it highly improbable that you managed to run C&C Generals at full details with such a machine.

Perhaps the detail was not at full, but at least at medium. It looked pretty good back in the day. I had full shadows enabled and fairly high texture rendering. Now it is choking when the graphics are all the way down. Like I said, after I upgraded to 10.3.9, I was able to run the game at good graphics again but once I upped to Tiger, I was back to the bad graphics. It's something in the software, not in my Mac's hardware.

Back