Cocoa Book?

googolplex

jeff.hume.ca
Has anyone here had experience learning cocoa from this book:

http://chapters.indigo.ca/item.asp?...WSID=1403B32257638B5742AA9487AA4D5CEBCE310412

"Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by Aaron Hillegass.

I'm wanting ot learn cocoa, and I was recommended this book over Oreilly's "Learning Cocoa". Has anyone bought this book? Is it good? Would it be good for someone who doesn't really know C, but has had programming experience? Does it introduce Objective-C? Does it contain lots of examples? Is it more of a reference book, or more personal?

I'd love to know :)

Originally posted by Alexandert
I'm still waiting for it here in germany! :(
amazon.de has it. €61,40 -- versandkostenfrei :D

But Learning COCOA is a MUST-HAVE!:eek: ;)
agreed. very nice. not as much humour in it as in other o'reilly books, but, well...

Originally posted by googolplex
I'm wanting ot learn cocoa, and I was recommended this book over Oreilly's "Learning Cocoa". Has anyone bought this book? Is it good? Would it be good for someone who doesn't really know C, but has had programming experience? Does it introduce Objective-C? Does it contain lots of examples? Is it more of a reference book, or more personal?

I own and have read both books. Aaron's book is far better, as it actually teaches you Cocoa concepts, while the Learning Cocoa book is basically just tutorials (that you can find elsewhere, I believe) but it doesn't teach as much. Also, the Learning Cocoa book has a lot of errors that is quite annoying when you can't figure out why something doesn't work and it is an error in the book!

Both books require a previous knowledge of C to be really useful. Also, you really should read Apple's Objective-C PDF before you read either of these books. These books really just teach you Cocoa, which requires knowledge of Objective-C to understand, and to learn Objective-C that requires knowledge of C. . .

Hope that helps.

Well I picked up the book last night (quite expensive! :)). It seems great so far. It assumes prior knowlage of C++ or Java... And I know a little of each, more java though. I'm not having much that much of an issue understanding objective-c.

I like the way that the book is written, i'm not sure how to describe it, it just seems more.... personal.

Back