Cocoa programming manual

I am a CS student and I have done java.
I know how OOP operates, and as I have noticed this semester (in taking ANSI C ) java and C (as well a few other languages) have common properties in that characters like += or x++ or for, if-else do the same thing).

Is objective C like java in that way differing only in how you state and call methods ?

Admiral

to give a truly ugly example:

Java:

String s;
int year;

s = year.toString();

objective-c:

[year stringValue:s];

year is the variable and stringValue is the method that puts
the string format of year into s. Objective-C is a nice
language that doesn't have many of the headaches of C or C++. Java is based in large part on Objective-C, even though it looks a lot like C++.

AdmiralK: According to Apple's manual referenced by Veti:
Objective-C is defined as [a] set of extensions to the C language. It’s designed to give C a full capability for object-oriented programming, and to do so in a simple and straightforward way. Its additions to C are few and are mostly based on Smalltalk, one of the first object-oriented programming languages. . . .

Since Objective-C incorporates C, you get all the benefits of C when working within Objective-C. You can choose
when to do something in an object-oriented way (define a new class, for example) and when to stick to procedural programming techniques . . . .
Objective-C would appear to be even closer to ANSI C than Java, since unlike Java it doesn't enforce the OO paradigm.

It took me one day to learn Objective-C and I find it a lot easier to use than Java.

C++ syntax sucks

Originally posted by JSR COUT
endian, r u big or little?

Originally posted by endian
i have an abstracted, object-oriented API... you shouldn't concern yourself with such underlying implementation details.

Originally posted by bellboy
for some reason, I was expecting a reply along the lines of

"depends, are you loose or tight?"

LOL!!! bellboy, your post was just hilarious! Computer programming humor, gets me every time. FYI, you might want to take a look at this article http://mackido.com/General/endian.html. Hehe ;)

Back